Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how to group a pivot table

My sales guys want to see MTD, YTD and LY columns for their sales data.

I have a database which indicates the month of the sale and the sales amount
and a pivot table which shows the summary. I can group by month and year,
then for last year, I hide the detail which gives me LY sales total. For the
current year, if I hide the detail I can get the YTD number, but not the MTD
number. If I show the detail, I can see the MTD, but can't get a YTD total.

Is there a way to get just 3 columns: MTD, YTD and LY?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So does your source data contain an actual date or just a month and year. if
it is an actual date then you can reight click on the date field and select
group which will allow you to aggregate you data by month, quarter year...
You can also switch the aggregation to be cumulative for a year over year
comparison...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson