Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Compatibility

Will it be possible to open files created in Excel 2010 64 bit with Excel
2007 ?
--
The sun is shining.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Robert wrote:
Will it be possible to open files created in Excel 2010 64 bit with Excel
2007 ?

As far as I know the main compatibility issues relate to non-Office OCX
controls and API calls. If you use either of these features in a 32-bit
version then you might have problems running those workbooks in 64-bit.

As far as I know, if a workbook works in 64-bit it should also work in
32-bit but I don't have a 64-bit machine myself so I am not speaking from
experience.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thank you Bill, this confirms my assumptions. I think that also the add-ins
need to be recompiled in 64 bit Visual Studio as well.
--
The sun is shining.

"Bill Manville" wrote:

Robert wrote:
Will it be possible to open files created in Excel 2010 64 bit with Excel
2007 ?

As far as I know the main compatibility issues relate to non-Office OCX
controls and API calls. If you use either of these features in a 32-bit
version then you might have problems running those workbooks in 64-bit.

As far as I know, if a workbook works in 64-bit it should also work in
32-bit but I don't have a 64-bit machine myself so I am not speaking from
experience.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Robert wrote:
I think that also the add-ins
need to be recompiled in 64 bit Visual Studio as well.

COM add-ins - I believe you are correct.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Junior Member

I've been using the Microsoft Office 2010 Beta and so far, I've had absolutely no problems when it came to backwards compatibility. Files created in 2010 were perfect utilized in 2007 and so on. I'm actually very surprised because that is always a program's biggest flaw. Adobe is really bad about not making things backwards compatible -- especially with large projects. Yikes!