Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jim at SDSU

Default Charting text?

I have a user that has a column with text entries like "Accounting"
"Marketing" etc. He wants a column graph where the more "Accounting" appears
in the data column, the taller the chart column. Does anyone have any ideas
how to do this? I'm thinking a "Count" function, but there are a number of
data definitions. Perhaps someone knows of a macro that would count the
various unique entries and use them as the column titles in the chart?

THANKS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Jim -

Put a header on this column of data. Select the column of text labels, and
using the Data menu, create a pivot table. When you get the empty pivot
table frame, drag the column header from the pivot table field list
(floating by the pivot table) to the Rows area, then drag it again (i.e.,
another copy of it) to the Data area. You'll get a list of unique labels and
a count of their appearance in the column.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"Jim at SDSU" wrote in message
I have a user that has a column with text entries like "Accounting"
"Marketing" etc. He wants a column graph where the more "Accounting"
appears
in the data column, the taller the chart column. Does anyone have any
ideas
how to do this? I'm thinking a "Count" function, but there are a number of
data definitions. Perhaps someone knows of a macro that would count the
various unique entries and use them as the column titles in the chart?

THANKS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
silentop

I think this is like my problem, how do you add a separate header to a
column though? I'm dumb, I know.

--
silentop
silentop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32271

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

You type it into the row above the top cell of the data. You might have to
insert a blank row first.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"silentop" wrote in
message ...