Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
silentop

Default Charting number of "name" occurences

Can someone tell me how I can chart the number of times a
name occurs in a column? I would really appreciate it. Maybe just like
a pie chart that everytime a new name is added it adds it in the chart,
and everytime a name is repeated it just adds to the count of the name
already added. Understand??? Can someone help me? Thank you!

David

--
silentop
silentop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32271

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Put a header at the top of the column (e.g., "Name"), if you haven't
already. Select the column, and choose Pivot Table from the Data menu.
Select the defaults or experiment with other settings, then when you get an
empty pivot table frame in a worksheet, drag the Name field from the Pivot
Table Field List to the Rows area, then drag it again (another copy, as it
were) to the Data area. This provides a list of unique names, and a count of
each name. Use this data to generate your pie chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services - Tutorials and Custom Solutions -
http://PeltierTech.com/
2006 Excel User Conference, 19-21 April, Atlantic City, NJ
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ExcelUserConf06.html
_______

"silentop" wrote in
message ...