Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Deselect (Unselect) Cells

I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not too sure what you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge you
never could un-select a cell by re-clicking it...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"gtabmx" wrote:

I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

"gtabmx" wrote:

I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have always used 2000 until I upgraded to 2007. Why can I not deselect
non-adjacent cells? Was it to difficult for the fellows at Microsoft to
program or was it not a popular function?

"Elkar" wrote:

I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I agree, that would be a handy feature. Not sure why it was removed.

If you're not aware of it, you can hit SHIFT-F8 to toggle "Add to Selection"
on/off. This allows you to select multiple cells without holding down any
keys. That doesn't solve the problem, but could help to avoid accidentally
clicking on a wrong cell and having to start over.

HTH,
Elkar

"Elkar" wrote:

I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I know of no version of Excel that allows you to de-select a cell by re-clicking
in the manner you describe.

Once selected with CTRL + Click, the cells are selected.

Chip Pearson has code to allow de-selecting cells or ranges.

Sub UnSelectActiveCell()
Dim Rng As Range
Dim FullRange As Range
'Chip Pearson
If Selection.Cells.Count 1 Then
For Each Rng In Selection.Cells
If Rng.Address < ActiveCell.Address Then
If FullRange Is Nothing Then
Set FullRange = Rng
Else
Set FullRange = Application.Union(FullRange, Rng)
Next Rng

If FullRange.Cells.Count 0 Then
FullRange.Select

Sub UnSelectActiveArea()
'Chip Pearson
Dim Rng As Range
Dim FullRange As Range
Dim Ndx As Integer
If Selection.Areas.Count 1 Then
For Each Rng In Selection.Areas
If Application.Intersect(ActiveCell, Rng) Is Nothing Then
If FullRange Is Nothing Then
Set FullRange = Rng
Else
Set FullRange = Application.Union(FullRange, Rng)
Next Rng
FullRange.Select

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:56:01 -0700, gtabmx
wrote:

I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use 2000 and I have never been able to do that, although many
is the time that I have wished I could.

Reclicking on a cell just changes it to be the active cell. It turns
to white but is still part of the selection set.

Regards
Martin

"Elkar" wrote:

I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were
you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003
and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It was not removed, since it was never part of Excel.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Elkar" wrote:

I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were
you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003
and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Like some of folks here, I could have sworn that I used to be able to select
and de-select in some earlier version of XL ... that is until just this
morning.

I was working in Windows explorer, *AND * THERE* is where it can be done! !
!

Just got those 2 mixed up in my memory.<bg
--

HTH,

RD

wrote:

I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell
selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this
is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FC FC is offline

Maybe this will make sense in some way as our mind can play tricks on us:
After making the selection holding down control, if you click on one of the
cells that was already selected, that cell turns white again ( not light up
or not blue...) and make us think that was de-selected but it's not. However
this feature should be consider for later excel versions (2010?), I'm sure
we'll use it very often.

wrote:

I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell
selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this
is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I agree with Mike

I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but you could DEFINITELY deselect cells within a selected entire row/column before in 2003 by holding down CTRL and clicking the cell. I just converted over to 2007 and noticed this is no longer an option. WTF Microsoft! Why would you take this lovely function away! Mike, or anyone else, have you found out how to do this yet???
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ctrl+click in a selection in Excel 2003 doesn't remove the cell from the
selection; it changes the active cell.

--
shg
shg's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=13

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't believe that any version of Excel, 2007, 2003 or anything
else, ever allowed you to unselect a cell, removing it from the
current selection. Holding down the CTRL key changes which cell within
the selected cells is the Active Cell, but it does not and never did
allow you to remove the cell from the Selection. I have code on my
web site at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/unselect.aspx that allows
you to unselect the active cell or the active area, removing it from
the current Selection.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but you could DEFINITELY deselect cells within a selected entire row/column before in 2003 by holding down CTRL and clicking the cell. I just converted over to 2007 and noticed this is no longer an option. WTF Microsoft! Why would you take this lovely function away! Mike, or anyone else, have you found out how to do this yet???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.

Ashley wrote:

I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but you could DEFINITELY deselect cells within a selected entire row/column before in 2003 by holding down CTRL and clicking the cell. I just converted over to 2007 and noticed this is no longer an option. WTF Microsoft! Why would you take this lovely function away! Mike, or anyone else, have you found out how to do this yet???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I'm pretty sure it was possible

Just what part of "This can't be done in Excel" escapes you?

Adrien wrote:

By the way, when you make multiple selection while holding ctrl on Word 2007 you can of course unselect by re-clicking...

So keep your lousy explication (like "I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel") for yourself, thank you.

Bob I wrote:

I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.
17-Nov-08

I think you may be confusing the behavior in Windows Explorer with Excel.

Ashley wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 5:56 PM
gtabm wrote:

Deselect (Unselect) Cells
I have used Excel for a very long time and was used to the way cell selection
was managed. For example, If I used CTRL to select 5 different cells and
then wanted to deselect one of them, I could just reclick it while holing
CTRL. However, now in Excel 2007 if I select a cell by mistake and want to
deselect it rather than restart my whole selection process, I cannot. Can
someone please tell me how to deselect a cell if it is selected. If this is
an impossible task then I, for one, am speachless.

Mike

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:16 PM
James_Thomlinso wrote:

Not too sure what you are talking about.
Not too sure what you are talking about. To the best of my knowledge you
never could un-select a cell by re-clicking it...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"gtabmx" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:20 PM
Elka wrote:

I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel.
I don't remember this ever being possible in Excel. What version were you
using before 2007? Here's a quote that can be found in both Excel 2003 and
2007 Help Files, relating to selecting non-adjacent cells:

"[Note] You cannot cancel the selection of a cell or range of cells in a
nonadjacent selection without canceling the entire selection."

HTH,
Elkar

"gtabmx" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:26 PM
gtabm wrote:

I have always used 2000 until I upgraded to 2007.
I have always used 2000 until I upgraded to 2007. Why can I not deselect
non-adjacent cells? Was it to difficult for the fellows at Microsoft to
program or was it not a popular function?

"Elkar" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 6:38 PM
Elka wrote:

I agree, that would be a handy feature. Not sure why it was removed.
I agree, that would be a handy feature. Not sure why it was removed.

If you're not aware of it, you can hit SHIFT-F8 to toggle "Add to Selection"
on/off. This allows you to select multiple cells without holding down any
keys. That doesn't solve the problem, but could help to avoid accidentally
clicking on a wrong cell and having to start over.

HTH,
Elkar

"gtabmx" wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 7:46 PM
Gord Dibben wrote:

[...]

wrote:

On Friday, August 10, 2007 11:59 PM
MartinW wrote:

I use 2000 and I have never been able to do that, although manyis the time
I use 2000 and I have never been able to do that, although many
is the time that I have wished I could.

Reclicking on a cell just changes it to be the active cell. It turns
to white but is still part of the selection set.

Regards
Martin

"gtabmx" wrote in message

On Saturday, August 11, 2007 9:16 AM
Jon Peltier wrote:

It was not removed, since it was never part of Excel.
It was not removed, since it was never part of Excel.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions