Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Ty Ty is offline

Default Pivot Table: deleted source data

Is it a common practice to delete the source data for a Pivot Table?
Why do the Pivot Table maintain the data after the source is deleted?

I was trying to reverse engineer a Pivot Table that was created in
2009. I kept seeing the source as a Summary sheet but it was not
listed in the spreadsheet. I thought it was hidden and it was not..
So I experimented a little and created a Pivot and deleted the source
and the data stayed in place but kept displaying the source that did
not exist.

Thanks,
Ty
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Jul 19, 12:20*pm, Ty wrote:
Is it a common practice to delete the source data for a Pivot Table?
Why do the Pivot Table maintain the data after the source is deleted?

I was trying to reverse engineer a Pivot Table that was created in
2009. *I kept seeing the source as a Summary sheet but it was not
listed in the spreadsheet. *I thought it was hidden and it was not..
So I experimented a little and created a Pivot and deleted the source
and the data stayed in place but kept displaying the source that did
not exist.

Thanks,
Ty

Try modifying the pivot table so that it has just one entry. Then
double click on it that entry. That typically extracts all the data
behind the entry.

Robert Flanagan
http://www.add-ins.com
productivity add-ins and downloadable books on VB macros for Excel