Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
S.Grossmann

Default How to select numeric 'series axis' in a surface chart?

Hello,

When I make a 3D surface chart in Excel, the 'series axis' is automatically
displayed as S1, S2, etc. How can I have that axis display numbers?

My table is in the following form:
5 10 15
2 45 48 62
4 35 34 60
6 12 13 58

When I make my surface chart, I select all the cells for the data range
(including the top left blank one) and select series in columns but Excel
does not change the series in numbers automatically (Series1, Series2 and
Series3 are displayed instead of 5, 10 and 15). For example Series2 includes
5, 45, 35, 12 (but it should include 45, 35, 12) and the Name cell is empty.

How can I make Excel to display numbers instead of series automatically
(without having to select all the cells manually)?

Thank you for your help,

S.Grossmann

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

I cannot reproduce this problem in XL2003 - my chart has 5, 10,15 on the
axis.
However, you could type typing '5, '10, '15 That is to say, use text rather
than numbers.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"S.Grossmann" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

I could only replicate your problem when the top left cell was not empty.
You can use the source data dialog to add series names and category labels.

Cheers
Andy

S.Grossmann wrote:
[...]

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
S.Grossmann

Thanks for the tip. Excel displays now correctly 5, 10, 15 in the Series
field instead of Series1, Series2, ...

I cannot understand why it not working without this trick on my computer. It
looks like a bug. I am using Excel 2003 SP2.

Kind regards,

S.Grossmann

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
S.Grossmann

Thanks! It is working now! The top left cell looked empty but it was not. I
pressed the Delete button on the keyboard, tried again and the axis is now
displayed with numbers.

Best regards,
S.Grossmann