Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Unable to turn off Speak Capabilities

I added the Speak command to my quick access tool bar, did some stuff with it looking for a solution to a query.

Okay, I'm done with the Speak so I removed the Speak command from the quick access tool bar.

The voice still speaks when I hit enter on a cell, voicing the contents.

Tried the "Speak On - Speak Off" command, and did not help. No toggle affect at all.

I have no Speak icons on any tool bar that I can find and the speak continues.

If I add a new workbook, it speak there also so it seems to be an Excel setting somewhere. I looked in the Options windows.

Closed Excel and reopened... What to do??

Howard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Howard,

Am Fri, 27 Jan 2017 09:35:52 -0800 (PST) schrieb L. Howard:

I added the Speak command to my quick access tool bar, did some stuff with it looking for a solution to a query.

Okay, I'm done with the Speak so I removed the Speak command from the quick access tool bar.

The voice still speaks when I hit enter on a cell, voicing the contents.

Tried the "Speak On - Speak Off" command, and did not help. No toggle affect at all.

I have no Speak icons on any tool bar that I can find and the speak continues.

If I add a new workbook, it speak there also so it seems to be an Excel setting somewhere. I looked in the Options windows.

Closed Excel and reopened... What to do??

deactivate narrator in "Ease of Access"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/22817

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Claus,

I tried these two methods, neither worked.

€¢Press the Windows logo key îž‚ + Enter together to start Narrator. Press these keys again to stop Narrator. On many keyboards, the Windows logo key is located on the bottom row of keys, to the left or right of the Alt key.

€¢Select the Start îž‚ button, then select Settings , select Ease of Access, select Narrator, and then move the slider under Narrator to turn it on.
(both settings are in the OFF position)

How I got Speak to start working on the workbook, was to add a Speak Command to the quick access bar.

I then removed it from the quick access tool bar but the speak (or narrator) is somehow still enabled.

I have exited Excel and re entered Excel, can't get free from it.
Howard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also tried the "Speak Cells - Stop Speak Cells" command on the quick access tool bar.

It say it is a toggle to start speak / stop speak. I click on it in the tool bar and it has no affect.

Howard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also tried the "Speak Cells - Stop Speak Cells" command on the
quick access tool bar.

It say it is a toggle to start speak / stop speak. I click on it in
the tool bar and it has no affect.

Howard

It seems that using 'Speak Cells' to start narration can be turned off
with 'Speak Cells - Stop Speaking Cells'! The latter is not a toggle,
although its name unwittingly implies that!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It seems that using 'Speak Cells' to start narration can be turned off
with 'Speak Cells - Stop Speaking Cells'! The latter is not a toggle,
although its name unwittingly implies that!

--
Garry

Hi Garry,

How does 'Speak Cells - Stop Speaking Cells' work? I can put the Icon on the quick access tool bar, but it does nothing that I can tell when I click on it.

I have floundered about with some feature where I wind up with a blue rectangle encompassing a portion of the worksheet, and instructing me to use certain keys strokes in conjunction each other, none of which affected anything that I could detect.

Howard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It seems that using 'Speak Cells' to start narration can be turned
off with 'Speak Cells - Stop Speaking Cells'! The latter is not a
toggle, although its name unwittingly implies that!

--
Garry

Hi Garry,

How does 'Speak Cells - Stop Speaking Cells' work? I can put the
Icon on the quick access tool bar, but it does nothing that I can
tell when I click on it.

As I stated.., turns of any narration started with 'Speak Cells'!

I have floundered about with some feature where I wind up with a blue
rectangle encompassing a portion of the worksheet, and instructing me
to use certain keys strokes in conjunction each other, none of which
affected anything that I could detect.

Howard

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:42:20 PM UTC-8, GS wrote:
[...]

I have the 'Speak Cells - Stop Speaking Cells' icon installed on the quick access toolbar.

I type 23 into a cell, hit enter, it speaks 'twenty three'.

I click on the icon, it appears nothing happens, I type 5 into a cell, hit enter, it speaks 'five'.

Can you tell me how to make it work?

Howard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

XL2010:
I type into a cell, press Enter, then click the 'Speak Cells' icon and
it speaks whatever I typed into the cell.

I select a range of populated cells, click the 'Speak Cells' icon and
it begins speaking each selected cell.

I click 'Speak Cells - Stop speaking Cells' to pause narration.
I click 'Speak Cells' to resume narration.

I click 'Speak Cells on Enter' to step through the selection;
It speaks each cell after I hit Enter;
I click 'Speak Cells on Enter' again to turn this off.

**Note that this is an 'action-active' menuitem that works like
FormaPainter when double clicked. As long as the icon is shaded
it's turned ON; -clicking it TOGGLES it Off/On.

That's the extent of my experience playing around with this. I was
curious if it would be a prospective replacement for my "Etriloquist"
speech app I use so my computer can speak for me. (I have Lou Gehrig's)
I've been using Etriloquist for nearly 20 years and so will stick with
it. My interest in have cell contents spoken is so people I tutor don't
have to strain trying to read my screen. (I have really high res
display hardware for CAD work!)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, I put the 'Speak' and the 'Speak Cells - Stop speaking Cells' icons on the quick access tool bar.

Works like you say.

I remove both icons from the too bar.

I type 12 into a cell, hit enter, is speaks "twelve"

I cannot get rid of it.

Naration in Setting Ease of Access is turned off, (two on/off sliders).

Any suggestions?

Howard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, I put the 'Speak' and the 'Speak Cells - Stop speaking Cells'
icons on the quick access tool bar.

Works like you say.

I remove both icons from the too bar.

I type 12 into a cell, hit enter, is speaks "twelve"

I cannot get rid of it.

Naration in Setting Ease of Access is turned off, (two on/off
sliders).

Any suggestions?

Howard

I suspect you removed 'Speak Cells on Enter' while it was still turned
on. Try putting it back and use it to toggle itself...

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 6:51:21 PM UTC-8, GS wrote:
Okay, I put the 'Speak' and the 'Speak Cells - Stop speaking Cells'
icons on the quick access tool bar.

Works like you say.

I remove both icons from the too bar.

I type 12 into a cell, hit enter, is speaks "twelve"

I cannot get rid of it.

Naration in Setting Ease of Access is turned off, (two on/off
sliders).

Any suggestions?

Howard

I suspect you removed 'Speak Cells on Enter' while it was still turned
on. Try putting it back and use it to toggle itself...

--
Garry

That indeed was the problem.

Thanks, Garry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you use this a lot you can assign a keyboard shortcut to this sub so
you don't have to mouse the icon...

Sub Toggle_SpeakOnEnter()
With Application.Speech
.SpeakOnEnter = Not .SpeakOnEnter
End With 'Application.Speech
End Sub 'Toggle_SpeakOnEnter

I use Ctrl+Shift+N

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oops.., typo...

Sub Toggle_SpeakOnEnter()
With Application.Speech
.SpeakCellOnEnter = Not .SpeakCellOnEnter
End With 'Application.Speech
End Sub 'Toggle_SpeakOnEnter

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 8:54:04 PM UTC-8, GS wrote:
Oops.., typo...

Sub Toggle_SpeakOnEnter()
With Application.Speech
.SpeakCellOnEnter = Not .SpeakCellOnEnter
End With 'Application.Speech
End Sub 'Toggle_SpeakOnEnter

--
Garry

I actually don't use it very much. But this should be a good snippet when I do.

Thanks.

Howard