mozermodo

Default Why is the order of my data table opposite from graph?

I'm using a simple bar graph with a data table. The data table is in the
opposite order of my graph. I've tried resorting the source data, I've tried
reversing the categories on the axis. I keep getting the same result - the Y
axis is in alpha order from top to bottom (which is what I want) but the data
table is in reverse alpha order (alpha goes right to left)
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why is the order of my data table opposite from graph?

It sounds like the issue you're experiencing is related to the way Excel is interpreting your data. By default, Excel will sort the data in a chart's data table based on the order in which it appears in the source data range. However, if the chart is using a different order for the categories on the X-axis, this can cause the data table to appear in the opposite order.

To fix this issue, you can try the following steps:
  1. Select the chart and click on the "Design" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on the "Select Data" button in the "Data" group.
  3. In the "Select Data Source" dialog box, click on the "Switch Row/Column" button.
  4. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This should switch the order of the data table to match the order of the categories on the X-axis. If this doesn't work, you may need to manually rearrange the data in your source data range to match the desired order of the categories on the X-axis.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
John Mansfield

I would first check the formatting of the data to make sure it is formatted
correctly. If there are no data format problems, can you provide an example
of the data that you're trying to chart?

"mozermodo" wrote:

I'm using a simple bar graph with a data table. The data table is in the
opposite order of my graph. I've tried resorting the source data, I've tried
reversing the categories on the axis. I keep getting the same result - the Y
axis is in alpha order from top to bottom (which is what I want) but the data
table is in reverse alpha order (alpha goes right to left)

Barb Reinhardt

I've tested this out.

If you have data in the order A-F to plot with a bar chart that includes
that data table, you either get the Bars labeled A-F from bottom to top and
the data table with A-F from Right to left, or the Bars labeled A-F from top
to bottom and the data table with A-F from Left to Right.

I'm not sure how to work around it without some major finagling.

"mozermodo" wrote:

I'm using a simple bar graph with a data table. The data table is in the
opposite order of my graph. I've tried resorting the source data, I've

tried
reversing the categories on the axis. I keep getting the same result -

the Y
axis is in alpha order from top to bottom (which is what I want) but the

data
table is in reverse alpha order (alpha goes right to left)

mozermodo

I'm trying to chart 4 years of data on acceptance rates of 14 colleges. My
data file lists the school names, in alpha order (American, Boston College,
Fordham, Syracuse, etc.) (text format) in column A and the four years of data
(percentage) in columns B-E. The 4 column headers, or data series, are the 4
years, 2002-2005.
The chart looks great, then I added the data table so the data will be on
the page rather than an appendix, and data labels in the chart are too busy.
I used "Chart Options" "Show Data Table". Format Data Table does not seem to
have any options. I have 15 worksheets in my workbook, each with a different
university characteristic and they are all coming out the same. I tried
resorting the data in the data source, and I tried reversing the axis in
"Format Axis", but the chart and the data table flip opposite ways. I even
tried fresh with a whole new workbook and raw data. Does that help clarify? I
appreciate any guidance you can provide. I have to use this in a presentation
and it just looks funny...

"mozermodo" wrote:

I'm using a simple bar graph with a data table. The data table is in the
opposite order of my graph. I've tried resorting the source data, I've tried
reversing the categories on the axis. I keep getting the same result - the Y
axis is in alpha order from top to bottom (which is what I want) but the data
table is in reverse alpha order (alpha goes right to left)

Barb Reinhardt

Let me see if I understand what you want it to do:

1) You want the Bar Chart to display the school names in Alphabetical order
from top to bottom.
2) You want the Data table to display the data for the schools from Left to
Right.

If you change the chart from a Bar to a Column Chart, I think you'll get
what you want, but this may not be an option.

"mozermodo" wrote:

I'm using a simple bar graph with a data table. The data table is in

the
opposite order of my graph. I've tried resorting the source data, I've

tried
reversing the categories on the axis. I keep getting the same result -

the Y
axis is in alpha order from top to bottom (which is what I want) but

the data
table is in reverse alpha order (alpha goes right to left)

Jon Peltier

I've tried to repro this, and I can't. Show a sample of your original data with real
labels and numbers (just paste into a text response, no attachments). Show also how
your data table looks, by pasting in the values and labels the way they appear in
the chart. Do you have a legend too? List the legend entries as they appear.
Finally, what kind of chart? Bar (horizontal) or Column? Stacked or clustered? What
is the category axis variable? What are the series names? You said the years were
the series, but that doesn't seem to me to be the most relevant way to actually make
your chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP