Junior Member

Default Hyperlink To A Specific Worksheet in Excel 2007

I am trying to create a hyperlink in a webpage (using Frontpage 2003) to a specific worksheet in an excel 2007 file. I have tried:
..\filename.xlsx\#worksheetname
..\filename.xlsx\#'worksheetname'
..\filename.xlsx\#rangename

in the last example, I defined a name for a cell within the target worksheet.

All of the above result in the Excel file opening on the worksheet that was displayed when the file was last saved.

I have a suspicion that this functionality worked in older versions of Excel.

Any ideas?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Hyperlink To A Specific Worksheet in Excel 2007

Yes, you can create a hyperlink to a specific worksheet in an Excel 2007 file. Here's how:
  1. Open the Excel file and navigate to the worksheet you want to link to.
  2. Right-click on the sheet tab and select "Rename" to give the worksheet a name that you can use in the hyperlink.
  3. Click on any cell in the worksheet to make it active.
  4. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon and then click on the "Name box" (the box to the left of the formula bar that displays the cell reference).
  5. Type the name you gave the worksheet in step 2 and press Enter. This will select the entire worksheet.
  6. Right-click on the selected area and choose "Copy" from the context menu.
  7. Open the webpage in Frontpage 2003 where you want to create the hyperlink.
  8. Highlight the text or image that you want to turn into a hyperlink.
  9. Click on the "Insert Hyperlink" button in the toolbar (or right-click and choose "Hyperlink" from the context menu).
  10. In the "Address" field, type the full path to the Excel file, followed by a pound sign (#) and the name of the worksheet you want to link to. For example: C:\Documents\filename.xlsx#worksheetname
  11. Click "OK" to create the hyperlink.

When someone clicks on the hyperlink, it should open the Excel file and take them directly to the specified worksheet. Note that the path to the Excel file may need to be adjusted depending on where the file is located on your computer or network.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Try
..\filename.xlsx#worksheetname!A1

and, it the worksheet name contains a space, put it in quotes
..\filename.xlsx#'worksheet name'!A1

or use a defined name
..\filename.xlsx#rangename

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Junior Member

Hi Bill thanks for your reply, unfortuantely I have tried all of these and none seem to work.

Neil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Manville View Post
Try
..\filename.xlsx#worksheetname!A1

and, it the worksheet name contains a space, put it in quotes
..\filename.xlsx#'worksheet name'!A1

or use a defined name
..\filename.xlsx#rangename

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

They all work to me (from Word, as I don't have FrontPage).
You did leave out the \ before the # ?