Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Books

Many, many years ago I use to earn my daily bread by writing code for
Dos using Microsoft Masm. In due course I transferred to C (but not
C++) and then to Windows 3.1, and finally I retired 24 years ago.

I am now writing (more precisely, trying to write) some VBA code for a
friend, but I am having difficulty finding information about the
mechanics of the process. By this I mean, matters such as whether code
can be in several files, and if so how those files are compiled and
linked. I am even finding it difficult to find clear information about
how to couple VBA programs with Excel.

If anyone can recommend a book which describes these basic processes,
and possibly also provides guidance with the language itself - though
this is less important - I would be extremely grateful. Any other
advice would also be very welcome.

Kind regards

Brian Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]

Start here...

http://spreadsheetpage.com/

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Brian wrote:

Many, many years ago I use to earn my daily bread by writing code for
Dos using Microsoft Masm. In due course I transferred to C (but not
C++) and then to Windows 3.1, and finally I retired 24 years ago.

I am now writing (more precisely, trying to write) some VBA code for a
friend, but I am having difficulty finding information about the
mechanics of the process. By this I mean, matters such as whether code
can be in several files,

Eh... sort of. Code needs to be within spreadsheets (or other application-
specific formats: documents for Word, slideshows for Powerpoint, etc.) but
within each spreadsheet there can be multiple modules, forms, classes, etc.,
each of which is analogous to, and can be exported to, an individual file.
Code in one spreadsheet can be called from another spreadsheet if needed.

and if so how those files are compiled and linked.

VBA is an interpreted language. What compilation happens is behind the
scenes. This page has a (very) brief discussion of compilation (with a view
toward decompiling) within VBA:

http://orlando.mvps.org/VBADecompilerMore.asp#WhatItIs

I am even finding it difficult to find clear information about
how to couple VBA programs with Excel.

If anyone can recommend a book which describes these basic processes,
and possibly also provides guidance with the language itself - though
this is less important - I would be extremely grateful. Any other
advice would also be very welcome.

Microsoft Press has released several books on this topic. See he

https://www.microsoftpressstore.com/...t-office/excel

I don't know how good any of them are, but the one I have (somewhere...) is
pretty thorough (it was released in the 90's for Office 97 or 2000).

--
I am sick of testing my brakes
because you are trying to become my newest hood ornament.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 12/01/2016 12:39, Brian wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone. I have ordered a Walkenbach book "Excel 2013 Power
Programming with VBA" to start with.

I actually thought that VBA was interpreted, but an error message I got
referred to the compiler not being able to do something, and this made
me wonder.

Regards

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]

The compiler only checks code syntax based on your settings. Note that
on the Editor tab of the Options dialog, you should check the option to
'require variable declaration' so *Option Explicit* is the 1st line on
every code page!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 13/01/2016 16:50, GS wrote:
[...]

Thanks Garry. Will do.

Brian

which books..? Roy New Users to Excel 3 October 15th 06 09:41 AM
new books whylite Excel Programming 9 August 18th 06 05:18 PM
VBA-Books Looney Excel Programming 2 March 15th 06 02:19 AM
Books Big Dov Excel Programming 1 August 23rd 05 09:44 PM
Books lc Excel Programming 2 November 10th 03 09:27 PM