Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default My date is coming up 0-Jan-00 when I type current date. Why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have a Lotus 123 setting toggled on.

Tools|Options|transition tab (in xl2003 menus)
Uncheck all those options.

Re-enter your date.

ps. Please include your question in the body of the message--not just the
subject.

Clark wrote:

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
You have a Lotus 123 setting toggled on.
Tools|Options|transition tab (in xl2003 menus)

I've never played with those options. Just curious....

Even when I set Transition Formula Evaluation and Transition Formula Entry,
I cannot get 0-Jan-00 [sic] or any form of 0/0/1900.

All I ever see is 1/0/1900. And I can get that without setting any
Transition options, simply by entering zero into a cell formatted as Date.

So how does one get effectively 0/0/1900 as a result of setting one or more
Transition options?

Clark wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you turn on "transition formula entry", and enter the date as:

1/5/2010

Excel will pretend that it's Lotus 123, see the slashes as division symbols and
automatically convert the entry to a formula (inserting an equal sign as the
first character).

You should see: =1/5/2010
in the formula bar when that cell is selected.

And since 1 divided by 5 divided by 2010 is a very small number--much less than
1 and the cell is formatted as a date, you'll see January 0, 1900 (or its
equivalent using your format).

Clark wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Dave Peterson" wrote:
And since 1 divided by 5 divided by 2010 is a very
small number--much less than 1 and the cell is
formatted as a date, you'll see January 0, 1900 (or
its equivalent using your format).

My mistake. I translated "0-Jan-00" to 0/0/1900 in my mind. Klunk!

Clark wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1/0/1900 formatted as d-mmm-yy displays 0-Jan-00

With all Transition Options enabled type 1/5/2009 in a cell.

In formula bar see =1/5/2009 but cell displays 0-Jan-00

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Clark wrote:

--

Dave Peterson