LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
external usenet poster

Default Chart SERIES OFFSET

I've been reading up on Dynamic Charts and have come across a slight challenge that I am trying to figure out.

I have 12 charts running off the same data table (using different rows) as I am charting FTE per division for the current financial year.

We're currently up to pay period 15 out of a possible 26, thus I have 11 pay periods that are 0.

What I am hoping to achieve is whether there is another way rather than using named ranges and OFFSET for it to chart what I want it to automatically.

One idea that i was trying to achieve was using OFFSET within the SERIES formula based on the number of periods I want to chart.

For example: CELL A1 = PERIOD 14 (named PERIOD)

Current formula for Series 1: =SERIES('FTE Count'!$D$31,,'FTE Count'!$E$31:$AD$31,2)

The idea I had for Series 1: =SERIES('FTE Count'!$D$31,,'FTE Count'!$E$31:OFFSET($E$31,,PERIOD),2)

the idea is that if i have the data for period 15, I tell the charts to chart period 1 to 15. Rather than charting all 26 periods and charting 0

#2   Report Post  
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 23 January 2013 09:28:44 UTC+8, Steven North wrote:
I've been reading up on Dynamic Charts and have come across a slight challenge that I am trying to figure out.

I have 12 charts running off the same data table (using different rows) as I am charting FTE per division for the current financial year.

We're currently up to pay period 15 out of a possible 26, thus I have 11 pay periods that are 0.

What I am hoping to achieve is whether there is another way rather than using named ranges and OFFSET for it to chart what I want it to automatically.

One idea that i was trying to achieve was using OFFSET within the SERIES formula based on the number of periods I want to chart.

Current formula for Series 1: =SERIES('FTE Count'!$D$31,,'FTE Count'!$E$31:$AD$31,2)

The idea I had for Series 1: =SERIES('FTE Count'!$D$31,,'FTE Count'!$E$31:OFFSET($E$31,,PERIOD),2)

the idea is that if i have the data for period 15, I tell the charts to chart period 1 to 15. Rather than charting all 26 periods and charting 0

I've also tried this...

=SERIES('FTE Count'!$D$31,,OFFSET($E$31,,'FTE Count'!$A$1),2)

Excel advises that the formula is not valid.
  #3   Report Post  
external usenet poster

Problem resolved... had to create a whole series of NAMED ranges and use formulas such as ....

=OFFSET('FTE Count'!$E$6,,0,1,COUNTA('FTE Count'!$E$6:$AD$6))

On Wednesday, 23 January 2013 09:32:27 UTC+8, Steven North wrote:

I've also tried this...

#4   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven North[_2_] View Post

I've also tried this...

Have a look at the link below for details on dynamic charts.

http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/msoff...-in-excel/7836

Personally I'd use INDEX to create the dynamic named ranges rather than OFFSET as it's not volatile in the same way OFFSET is and therefore will cause less slowdown of your workbook.

Details on using INDEX for dynamic ranges can be found about half way down the page that this link goes to.

http://www.excelhero.com/blog/2011/0...ing-index.html

Let me know if you need more help.

S.
  #5   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven North[_2_] View Post
Problem resolved... had to create a whole series of NAMED ranges and use formulas such as ....

As mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I would recommend using INDEX rather than OFFSET due to it's nonvolatile nature.

OFFSET recalculates every time any cell is changed, regardless of whether or not if affects the named ranges. INDEX does not do that, but will still produce the same dynamic effect. If you have many of these named ranges OFFSET will very quickly slow you down.

S.

#6   Report Post  
external usenet poster

Thanks Spencer101,

Looking into INDEX function now.

On Wednesday, 23 January 2013 17:11:46 UTC+8, Spencer101 wrote:
'Steven North[_2_ Wrote:

;1608819']Problem resolved... had to create a whole series of NAMED

ranges and use formulas such as ....

As mentioned in my previous post in this thread, I would recommend using

INDEX rather than OFFSET due to it's nonvolatile nature.

OFFSET recalculates every time any cell is changed, regardless of

whether or not if affects the named ranges. INDEX does not do that, but

will still produce the same dynamic effect. If you have many of these

named ranges OFFSET will very quickly slow you down.

S.

--

Spencer101