Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel Add-in path in UNC format

Ron,
I left a message on two of your other threads, that addressed
this, but wanted to make sure you get it here too. I have also added
a couple of additional thoughts I think you will have to consider.

Ron Bovey is right about the Add-in Manager Key. You can add a reference
to your add-in there as well, but it will not be active. And this is
located in
HKEY_CURRENT_USERS, so it would have to be added during a users
session. The format of the entry in the Add-in Manager would be as follows

Name Type
\\AMachine\AShare\myaddin.xla REG_SZ

After the add-in is selected, and excel is closed the entry is moved to
the Options key.

There are several considerations you will have to think through for
this whole process, which include security considerations!

If you want the add-in installed "ready to run" you will put it directly in
the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\E xcel\Options key.
Each of the current add-ins you have checked off in excel will have an OPEN
entry here. For example

Name Type Data
Open REG_SZ "C:\someplace\myaddin.xla"
Open1 REG_SZ "\\AMachine\AShare\myaddin.xla"
Open2 REG_SZ "\\AnotherMachine\AnotherShare\Myaddin.xla"

Here are several things to consider...
- What add-ins are currently assigned in this key?

- Second, if the network goes down your users will get a dialog telling
them
that the add-in could not be found. When they click the OK button,
excel continues and the add-in is not loaded.

- Third, your users will have to register the add-in, as it is placed in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

- Fourth, the security you have selected for Excel could get in your way.
You might have to sign the add-in to get around this. If security is on
HIGH, with trust all add-ins and templates unchecked, the add-in will
not be installed, and no error dialog will be presented to the users.

I would recommend testing on two machines in your environment. What
version of Excel will you be using, and will the users all be in the same
domain?

The first step should be testing this out in your environment.

Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks...

Stephen Culhane

Microsoft Developer Support