Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Hostname from IP address

Hi,
I am hoping someone can help me please..
I have a spreadsheet that is linked to a survey being hosted on our website.
The survey is about internet safety and one of the questions it ask is what
is your ISP? However it seems that not everyone here in Bahrain knows this
and their entries are not valid. However we trap the IP addess in the survey
results and these are pulled into the spreadsheet along with all the survey
answers.

column a column b column c column d
IP Address Sex Age Nationality etc..
193.188.105.25 M 32 Bahraini etc..
84.235.101.66 M 33 Lebanese
83.136.59.145 F 28 Bahraini

I want to find a way of converting the IP Address into an ISP name or at
least the hostname. Can anyone help?
I also want to calculate the average ages of males or females by
nationality, i was using =Averageifs(column B,column d,"Bahraini", Column b,
"F") but this gives me an error.
I am sorry if this is the wrong forum but I am really stuck!

Kind regards
Nick

--
Internet Safety Advisor
Telecommunications Regulatory Authority

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Nick

To convert the IP Addresses into ISP Names (or Hostnames) you'd have to have
a database to refer to. These can be purchased online from sites such as
http://www.ip2geo.net/

You were close to the correct formula, but here it is:

=averageifs(c:c,b:b,"F",d:d,"Bahrini")