Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default Workbooks Don't Open

I'm running OfficeXP 03 Pro. Whenever I try to open a workbook by double
clicking on it, Excel opens without the workbook opening. The program opens,
but's blank without a workbook. If I drag and drop an .xls file into the
blank space it opens. I tried repairing it from the CD but this did not fix
the issue. Other office programs work fine. Any ideas as to what this might
be causing this or how to fix it?

--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

And you don't get any warning/error messages from excel or windows???

If that's true, then I bet your workbook is opening, but just not in the visible
sheet area.

You can test this by hitting file|Print preview (after opening the workbook).

If that works ok, then close the print preview window.
Window|Arrange|tiled
and resize the way you want.

Then save the workbook--or you'll be doing it again!

"Dax Arroway" wrote:

I'm running OfficeXP 03 Pro. Whenever I try to open a workbook by double
clicking on it, Excel opens without the workbook opening. The program opens,
but's blank without a workbook. If I drag and drop an .xls file into the
blank space it opens. I tried repairing it from the CD but this did not fix
the issue. Other office programs work fine. Any ideas as to what this might
be causing this or how to fix it?

--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Nope. I don't think anything is opening. Everything under Window is greyed
out, like the sheet is not open. Under File, New and Open are the primary
ones that are available; Close, Save, SaveAs, are all greyed. If I click
Open, I can browse to the file I originally clicked on, select it, and then
it opens. IT's WEIRD!

--

"Dax Arroway" wrote:

I'm running OfficeXP 03 Pro. Whenever I try to open a workbook by double
clicking on it, Excel opens without the workbook opening. The program opens,
but's blank without a workbook. If I drag and drop an .xls file into the
blank space it opens. I tried repairing it from the CD but this did not fix
the issue. Other office programs work fine. Any ideas as to what this might
be causing this or how to fix it?

--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

I've seen problems when doubleclicking on a file in windows explorer. But those
problems come with warning messages from windows and excel.

But if you want, you could try the solutions for that problem...

(Saved from a previous post)

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (check it)
(xl2003 menus)

And when you want to go back to what you had befo

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
(xl2003 menus)

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets some of the windows registry to
excel's factory defaults.