Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert vertical data to horizontal data

I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings
appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for
each employee?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy - paste special - transpose
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Kiley" wrote:

I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings
appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for
each employee?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I need more information. I tried what you suggested but I got the
following message: "The information cannot be pasted because the Copy area
and the paste area are not the same size and shape."

"Kiley" wrote:

I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings
appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for
each employee?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1. Are any of the cells merged cells? This can cause problems
2. Only select a single cell before the paste operation.

Alternatively, you can use the formula (assumes data starts in B2):

=OFFSET($B$2,COLUMN(A1),)

Copying this across will give a similar effect.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Kiley" wrote:

I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The
ratings
appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row
for
each employee?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are other entries in between the names and ratings.

The names appear in column a, then there are four columns of other
information, and then the ratings. However, I can take out the other
information if it will make it easier.

Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you for your help on
this.

"Russell Dawson" wrote:

Kiley,

Please clarify. If the names are in column A - is it only the names that
appear in col A or do you have other entries between the names?

You may have left descriptions out for simplicity but I was thinking that if
only the names appear in A then that can be used to differentiate between
employees.

Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Kiley" wrote:

I figured it out how to covert for one employee, but if I have a list of
employees, how can this be done for each employee?

Name Ratings
Joe Excellent
Effective
Excellent
Needs Development
Effective
Needs Development
Jim Excellent
Effective
Excellent
Needs Development
Effective
Needs Development

"Kiley" wrote:

I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings
appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for
each employee?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I decided I better not wait. Please email to . Thank
you.

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

How about this one ?
http://www.siz.co.il/my.php?i=aymtm0gity3n.png
If this does not do and you have access to some other file hosting sites -
let me know.
I'll be glad to send it, to you, via E-Mail.
Micky

"Kiley" wrote:

The webpage is blocked by my company.
Is there another way you can send the information?

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

Here is a another link.
Both work fine from where I sit.
Delete Temporary files + Cookies and restart your Browser.
ttp://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3283/nonamej.png
Micky

"Kiley" wrote:

I was unable to access the link that was provided.

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

I hope this will help:
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2067/nonameo.png
(*** The formula which returns the names is an array formula, and is to be
confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than with simply ENTER.
The curly brackets {} are not to be typed manually, those are entered by the
Excel, when the formula is entered as an Array formula).
Micky

"Kiley" wrote:

I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings
appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for
each employee?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nice one Micky.

Mind you, I had done all the hard work i.e. "Copy - paste special -
transpose" !!

Cheers

--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

You will notice 2 things:
1) My sheet layout is from right-to-left which makes no difference as for
the solution.
2) I have changed the Ratings, on purpose, in order to be sure the formula
returns the expected values
Micky

"Kiley" wrote:

I have a listing of 6 performance ratings for each employee. The ratings
appear vertically. How do I convert the ratings data to a single row for
each employee?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much for the formulas. It is working great. However, I have
another question. If I have 8 ratings per employee, how does it affect this
formula: =OFFSET(B$1,ROW()*6-11,). What would need to change in the formula?