Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I remove the % sign in cells without using the % icon

I am doing an assignment for management accounting and the lecturer has
deliberatly put errrors in the template he provided.
One of those errors is that the % sign comes up in cells where it is not
needed.
I have tried using the % icon to remove it and go into the cell and delete
everything that is there but when I go to enter data again it puts the % sign
back in.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Sidney,

if the cells are formated as percent, you can use an auxiliar column
formated as general and use =a2*100 (assuming the A column has the % figures)

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Sydney sidekick" escreveu:

I am doing an assignment for management accounting and the lecturer has
deliberatly put errrors in the template he provided.
One of those errors is that the % sign comes up in cells where it is not
needed.
I have tried using the % icon to remove it and go into the cell and delete
everything that is there but when I go to enter data again it puts the % sign
back in.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right click on the cell(s) and select the Format option. He probably
has a custom format option on them. You should be able to set the
format to general and it should take care of it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The quick formatting icons as for currency, percent and comma separation of
number groups are not on-off toggles, they are "set it" commands only.

You can either click them and use Format Cells to set them to some
non-percent format, or you can select them and use Edit | Clear | Format to
pretty much do the same thing.