Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Karmen

Default Checking for duplication on rows

Hello,

In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
listed on multiple rows. The name is entered in multiple columns on the
same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
entered on multiple rows regardless of the column. How can I check
this?

THANKS,
karmen

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30972

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max

Presume you're checking some specific names ?
One way to quickly check is to use autofilter (Data Filter Autofilter)
Select "Custom" from the droplist, then enter/paste the specific name OK
Then reset the droplist to "(All)", repeat the check for each col concerned
--
Max
Singapore

Hello,

In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
listed on multiple rows. The name is entered in multiple columns on the
same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
entered on multiple rows regardless of the column. How can I check
this?

THANKS,
karmen

--
Karmen
Karmen's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509495

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
George

Karmen wrote:
Hello,

In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is
listed on multiple rows. The name is entered in multiple columns on the
same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is
entered on multiple rows regardless of the column. How can I check
this?

THANKS,
karmen

Try using COUNTIF(...) 1 as a test.

You can change the ranges in my example to match what you need.

Lets make the following assumptions
A1:D20 contains your data
Column A contains the names you want to check for duplicates
Column E will contain TRUE for duplicates

The following will work for single column to be checked.
Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$20,A1)1

In your case you may need something like this.
Enter this in E1 and copy down to E20
=COUNTIF($A$1:$D$20,A1)COUNTIF($A1:$D1,A1)
This checks the whole range count versus the current row count
Simple but effective.

Hope it helps
George