Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening Ribbon Home without the alphabet soup?

If I click the Home button in Excel 365 I get the large Ribbon.
Daunting but readable (and I need to make the effort to use it instead
of always reverting to the familiarity of the Classic menu). But I
prefer keystrokes. However if I use <Alt + H it's very difficult to
read:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Unreadable.jpg

Eventually I *want* to use those shortcut letters, but meanwhile I
have trouble even reading what they *do* - Catch 22!

Is there some setting I've missed here please, some way of opening up
the Ribbon at a specific tab (like Home) without those letter
shortcuts appearing on top?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I click the Home button in Excel 365 I get the large Ribbon.
Daunting but readable (and I need to make the effort to use it
instead of always reverting to the familiarity of the Classic menu).
But I prefer keystrokes. However if I use <Alt + H it's very
difficult to read:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Unreadable.jpg

Eventually I *want* to use those shortcut letters, but meanwhile I
have trouble even reading what they *do* - Catch 22!

Is there some setting I've missed here please, some way of opening up
the Ribbon at a specific tab (like Home) without those letter
shortcuts appearing on top?

Try just clicking the tab! (assumes you use the Ribbon minimized)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

If I click the Home button in Excel 365 I get the large Ribbon.
Daunting but readable (and I need to make the effort to use it
instead of always reverting to the familiarity of the Classic menu).
But I prefer keystrokes. However if I use <Alt + H it's very
difficult to read:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Unreadable.jpg

Eventually I *want* to use those shortcut letters, but meanwhile I
have trouble even reading what they *do* - Catch 22!

Is there some setting I've missed here please, some way of opening up
the Ribbon at a specific tab (like Home) without those letter
shortcuts appearing on top?

Try just clicking the tab! (assumes you use the Ribbon minimized)

"But I prefer keystrokes".
So no keyboard method?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

GS wrote:

If I click the Home button in Excel 365 I get the large Ribbon.
Daunting but readable (and I need to make the effort to use it
instead of always reverting to the familiarity of the Classic menu).
But I prefer keystrokes. However if I use <Alt + H it's very
difficult to read:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...Unreadable.jpg

Eventually I *want* to use those shortcut letters, but meanwhile I
have trouble even reading what they *do* - Catch 22!

Is there some setting I've missed here please, some way of opening up
the Ribbon at a specific tab (like Home) without those letter
shortcuts appearing on top?

Try just clicking the tab! (assumes you use the Ribbon minimized)

"But I prefer keystrokes".
So no keyboard method?

But I see that typing Esc after the Alt+H removes the clutter, so I'll
settle for that. Still quicker than the mouse.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...n-Readable.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

GS wrote:

[...]

Well of coarse that clears the tags.., it always has for as long as
I've been using Excel (v4.0)!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Note that when they added the Ribbon, most of the contents also get
tags and so ESC twice to clear all, once to clear tab content tags.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

Note that when they added the Ribbon, most of the contents also get
tags and so ESC twice to clear all, once to clear tab content tags.

I'm guessing you didn't look at my screenshot ;-)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

Note that when they added the Ribbon, most of the contents also get
tags and so ESC twice to clear all, once to clear tab content tags.

I'm guessing you didn't look at my screenshot ;-)

Yes, this is why I clarified my reply! Your "alphabet soup" is the
latter condition where pressing ESC clears that from the tab; the tab
labels themselves still show their respective 'shortcut tags' until you
press ESC again!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

GS wrote:

Note that when they added the Ribbon, most of the contents also get
tags and so ESC twice to clear all, once to clear tab content tags.

I'm guessing you didn't look at my screenshot ;-)

Yes, this is why I clarified my reply! Your "alphabet soup" is the
latter condition where pressing ESC clears that from the tab; the tab
labels themselves still show their respective 'shortcut tags' until you
press ESC again!

Isn't that what I said in the annotation to my screenshot?