Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Populating Publisher document from Excel using VBA

I was asked to use Excel to collect data for our team and then create a summary report in Publisher using VBA and I would love some help.

Basically, I need to add information in various text boxes created in Publisher but I can't find information regarding Publisher programming so I wonder if anyone can point me to good VBA resources dealing with Publisher or provide some sample code.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I was asked to use Excel to collect data for our team and then create
a summary report in Publisher using VBA and I would love some help.

Basically, I need to add information in various text boxes created in
Publisher but I can't find information regarding Publisher
programming so I wonder if anyone can point me to good VBA resources
dealing with Publisher or provide some sample code.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

A good place to start is to ask in a Publisher forum.

Also good is to familiarize yourself with Publisher's Object Browser to
see what objects, methods, and properties it exposes to VBA. You can
add the 'Developer' tab to its Ribbon and click Visual Basic to open
the VBE.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

I was asked to use Excel to collect data for our team and then create
a summary report in Publisher using VBA and I would love some help.

Basically, I need to add information in various text boxes created in
Publisher but I can't find information regarding Publisher
programming so I wonder if anyone can point me to good VBA resources
dealing with Publisher or provide some sample code.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

A good place to start is to ask in a Publisher forum.

Also good is to familiarize yourself with Publisher's Object Browser to
see what objects, methods, and properties it exposes to VBA. You can
add the 'Developer' tab to its Ribbon and click Visual Basic to open
the VBE.

....or just Alt+F11.

I was thinking, "Junk Yard" could use the macro recorder to see how Publisher
handles doing what he wants (i.e. doing whatcha do anywhere else): start
recording, type in a text box, stop recording, read the generated code.

--
The Tale is now told, from first to last.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

[...]

Yeah.., that'd be my next suggestion if Junk Yard persisted here.
Sounds like homework to me, though, since it makes more sense (to me)
to create the summary right in Excel. I certainly can't imagine an
employer asking an unskill worker to do this!<g

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

GS wrote:

[...]

You're probably right, especially with the way he phrased it, specifically
the "using VBA" part -- in The Real World(TM), bosses rarely care *how*
something is done as long as it's *done*.

But for all I know, Junk Yard is dealing with some PHB who wants it done
THIS WAY AND NO OTHER WAY BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I KNOW DAMMIT! [shrug] I've
had those bosses.

--
When you get bored, click something.
If that doesn't help, then turn off your computer immediately.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 7:05:31 AM UTC+11, Auric__ wrote:
GS wrote:

GS wrote:

[...]

Hi guys,

This is NOT some kind of homework. It's a real project and in The Real World, you do as you are told by your superior. I rarely used Excel for development and have never developed 'applications' in Publisher but I was asked by my boss to develop an Excel application for some of our staff in the field so they could collect data from the various restaurants and generate and print a feedback report in Publisher for each visited restaurant.

Microsoft Publisher was selected as a reporting application because (1) the client wanted a number of features, like linked boxes, and (2) the client insisted they wanted the report done in Publisher.

Publisher's Object Browser is not very helpful. There is nor Macro recorder in Publisher and when I click Help button that takes me to Microsoft's help site, I receive the following "helpful" error.

"Developer help for Office 2007 and Office 2010

The content youre looking for is no longer online; however, it's still available offline. Change the connection status to see the Help topic."

Not very helpful at all.

I was hoping that someone already did something with Publisher from Excel but I am obviously wrong so I'll just try to figure what to do.

Thank yu for your suggestions.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

I apologize for the assumption if same has offended you!

As I stated earlier.., better to seek help about automating Publisher
in a forum for Publisher.

If you understand Excel VBA and OLE automation then doing what you want
certainly can be done as an Excel application. Getting the refs for
Publisher isn't difficult so long as you know how to identify the
objects you want to utilize. With the requirements you've cited so far,
you haven't stated anything that can't be done entirely in Excel;
-especially since you want an application-level solution developed for
your client. Probably best you either upgrade your skills, hire someone
with the skills, or contract an Excel Application Developer to do this
for you.

We are here for you if you choose to elevate your skills...