Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Can't remove check boxes

Couldn't find a post that addresses these two problems.

I copied a bunch of data from my Scottrade history and wound up with a line
of check boxes on the right side of a column of cost numbers. No matter what
I do I can't remove them. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, I want to remove the hyperlinks that are part of a column of stock
symbols. I can remove them individually but what to do so to the whole
column. Any advice on how to do this?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can't remove check boxes

__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You'll want to show the Control toolbox toolbar.
In xl2003 menus:
View|toolbars|check control toolbox

In xl2007, this is on the developer tab (IIRC).

Then click on the design mode icon.

Then you can select the first control, then ctrl-click on subsequent.

If there are no controls that should be kept:
F5 (or ctrl-g or Edit|Goto)|Special
Objects

And then hit the delete key.

======
If you want to delete hyperlinks (the ones that come from Insert|Hyperlink):
you can select the range (all the cells if you want)
Hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE (where macros live)
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
type this and hit enter:
selection.hyperlinks.delete

Then close this window and back to excel to check it out.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

As to the hyperlinks removal, that worked -- very neat. Thanks!

But concerning the stubborn check boxes, I did what you said as best I could
but no result. Probably didn't get your direction right - I'm a newbie. Could
I send you a file (virus safe) to show what I'm trying to get rid of?

***TominFL*** wrote:

Couldn't find a post that addresses these two problems.

I copied a bunch of data from my Scottrade history and wound up with a line
of check boxes on the right side of a column of cost numbers. No matter what
I do I can't remove them. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, I want to remove the hyperlinks that are part of a column of stock
symbols. I can remove them individually but what to do so to the whole
column. Any advice on how to do this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No thanks.

What failed?

And what version of excel are you using?

***TominFL*** wrote:

Couldn't find a post that addresses these two problems.

I copied a bunch of data from my Scottrade history and wound up with a line
of check boxes on the right side of a column of cost numbers. No matter what
I do I can't remove them. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, I want to remove the hyperlinks that are part of a column of stock
symbols. I can remove them individually but what to do so to the whole
column. Any advice on how to do this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

1. You can remove the hyperlinks by selecting an empty cell and choosing
Copy, highlighting all the hyperlinks and choosing Edit, Paste Special, Add.

2. Generally you can remove checkboxes by pressing F5, Special, Objects, OK.
And then pressing Del.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"***TominFL***" wrote:

Couldn't find a post that addresses these two problems.

I copied a bunch of data from my Scottrade history and wound up with a line
of check boxes on the right side of a column of cost numbers. No matter what
I do I can't remove them. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, I want to remove the hyperlinks that are part of a column of stock
symbols. I can remove them individually but what to do so to the whole
column. Any advice on how to do this?

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peterson View Post

***TominFL*** wrote:

Couldn't find a post that addresses these two problems.

I copied a bunch of data from my Scottrade history and wound up with a line
of check boxes on the right side of a column of cost numbers. No matter what
I do I can't remove them. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Also, I want to remove the hyperlinks that are part of a column of stock
symbols. I can remove them individually but what to do so to the whole
column. Any advice on how to do this?

--

Dave Peterson
i tried your trick and was able to remove all check boxes in less then 15 seconds.