Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Search and replace

How do I assign a numeric value to text entries on my data sheet?
For example, several codes are EX, VG, U, DS, FR, A and their respective
numeric values are 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Wherever there's a "DS" on the data
sheet, I'd like the number "2" substituted. I understand this was a "Search
and replace" command in Excel 2003 (which I never used)...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are correct:

Edit Replace and enter DS in the findwhat field and 2 in the replacewith
field
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200763

"CatPEG" wrote:

How do I assign a numeric value to text entries on my data sheet?
For example, several codes are EX, VG, U, DS, FR, A and their respective
numeric values are 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Wherever there's a "DS" on the data
sheet, I'd like the number "2" substituted. I understand this was a "Search
and replace" command in Excel 2003 (which I never used)...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Should also check "Match Case",
or things may happen to
roads
kids
rounds

If the above are upper case, you'll still have "things" happening.<bg
--
HTH,

RD

"CatPEG" wrote:

How do I assign a numeric value to text entries on my data sheet?
For example, several codes are EX, VG, U, DS, FR, A and their respective
numeric values are 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0. Wherever there's a "DS" on the

data
sheet, I'd like the number "2" substituted. I understand this was a

and replace" command in Excel 2003 (which I never used)...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks...now the problem is with variable cominations, the formula interprets
half the variable. For example, "D" is 2, D-M is 2.4, M is 3. So, when I
replace D with 2, the formula replaces every D including the D-M (shows it as
2-M). I've tried replacing D-M first, but same problem.