Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Rollback history

I have a slight problem, actually, it's quite a big problem.

I have a spreadsheet that i use for work, accounts, general use etc...
The problem is that i think one of my kids accidentely wiped all of the data
out of one sheet and then the auto save kicked in and i didn't notice until
next time i fired it up.

Is there any chance to rollback the history of the file to possibly try
retrieve, if any, data from the file?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

it sounds like you don't have a back up. if there is a chance you saved it as
another name at some time, or if you have track changes activated, you may
be able to do some recovery. Unfortunately something like this has happened
to most of us, and we remember to back up for a while. about the time we
forget to do so, it happens again.

"UrbanCool" wrote:

I have a slight problem, actually, it's quite a big problem.

I have a spreadsheet that i use for work, accounts, general use etc...
The problem is that i think one of my kids accidentely wiped all of the data
out of one sheet and then the auto save kicked in and i didn't notice until
next time i fired it up.

Is there any chance to rollback the history of the file to possibly try
retrieve, if any, data from the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Urban cool,

STOP using the computer RIGHT NOW for ANYTHING.
Turn it off!!!Don't reply to this post!!!

Do a google search for file recovery on ANOTHER computer.
As you search you will find out the reason for an IMMEDIATE shut down.

Good Luck!!!

HTH
Martin

"UrbanCool" wrote in message
I have a slight problem, actually, it's quite a big problem.

I have a spreadsheet that i use for work, accounts, general use etc...
The problem is that i think one of my kids accidentely wiped all of the
data
out of one sheet and then the auto save kicked in and i didn't notice
until
next time i fired it up.

Is there any chance to rollback the history of the file to possibly try
retrieve, if any, data from the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

no, unfortunately i don't have a backup, i normaly have a copy saved on the
server at work but i was on hols and unfortunately didn't get to save a copy.

how do i have a look into this track changes thing you mentioned?

"UrbanCool" wrote:

I have a slight problem, actually, it's quite a big problem.

I have a spreadsheet that i use for work, accounts, general use etc...
The problem is that i think one of my kids accidentely wiped all of the data
out of one sheet and then the auto save kicked in and i didn't notice until
next time i fired it up.

Is there any chance to rollback the history of the file to possibly try
retrieve, if any, data from the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you don't have a backup and you don't want to try recovering your file
(MartinW's post), then you're out of luck.

UrbanCool wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Urban, I think what Martin was referring to is that there are some file
recovery programs available and maybe you'd have a better chance of
retrieving the file if you don't continue using the computer until you
attempt recovery. Personally, I think your file is lost unless you have a
backup copy somewhere or perhaps you've e-mailed it to someone, but I'm no
expert on file recovery. James
"UrbanCool" wrote in message
what the hell?

can anybody help me?

"UrbanCool" wrote in message
I have a slight problem, actually, it's quite a big problem.

I have a spreadsheet that i use for work, accounts, general use etc...
The problem is that i think one of my kids accidentely wiped all of the
data
out of one sheet and then the auto save kicked in and i didn't notice
until
next time i fired it up.

Is there any chance to rollback the history of the file to possibly try
retrieve, if any, data from the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MartinW's post didn't even mention any specifics... i tried searching google...
if ppl don't want to help with constructive comments, please don't bother
replying.
Whats the point?
It just further aggrevates the problem from my point of view.
I don't have access to another machine right now, so what good is turning
off the computer?
Its not a virus, or any other form of malicious coding, my daughter (i
presume has accidentely deleted the info).

All i asked was, IS IT POSSIBLE TO ROLL THE FILE BACK TO A PREVIOUS DATE OR
FILE REVISION?
I've tried rolling back my OS, but that doesn't change the files...

Any POSITIVE help would be beneficial, thanks

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you don't have a backup and you don't want to try recovering your file
(MartinW's post), then you're out of luck.

UrbanCool wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

"UrbanCool" wrote in message
I have a slight problem, actually, it's quite a big problem.

I have a spreadsheet that i use for work, accounts, general use etc...
The problem is that i think one of my kids accidentely wiped all of the
data
out of one sheet and then the auto save kicked in and i didn't notice
until
next time i fired it up.

Is there any chance to rollback the history of the file to possibly try
retrieve, if any, data from the file?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

again! the file is not corrupt...

why not post links to what you are on about?!
actually, forget it.... i'll rebuild the file... its less hassle than having
to deal with ppl (MartinW) who don't actually help.

Thank you to Zone (James), your post was actually structured and helpful.

"MartinW" wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The reason I didn't post links is because, in this situation, the most
important
thing to do is to stop using the computer.

I tried to emphasise that by the use of caps.

Despite what you seem to think I was being helpful.

As you explore this problem in Google you will discover that my
suggestions were sound.

Have a Nice Day
Martin

"MartinW" wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

the computer has been in use since this happened, I still have other duties
to complete, and wasn't actually aware that there was a problem until today.

The last time the document was in use was last week and like i said, i
wasn't aware of the problem.
That really isn't an excuse for not posting links, you could have psted them
and then said, DO NOT USE ON THIS COMPUTER and followed it with a valid,
constructive reason.

Anyway, it's no use... i've had enough, i'm going to have to rebuild the
file from scratch.
The file itself wasn't corrupt, so recovery software isn't really a solution.

& the computer has been in use for nearly a week, so.... thank you to all
who replied

"MartinW" wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You seemed to misunderstand MartinW's description.

When you delete any file, the space it occupies on the harddrive is marked as
available. If no other process writes over this space, then you may have a
chance to recover that file. If you continue to use the computer, then your
operating system will write data whereever it wants--maybe over that space,
maybe not.

It has nothing to do with the file being corrupt when it was deleted. It has
everything with the space that the original file occupied being overwritten.

You may want to search google for undelete software (some free, some commercial)
for the next time.

"MartinW" wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe the original post said that data IN the file was deleted. Not the
original file.

Therefore, recovery software wont help because the file, less the lost data,
is STILL sat in the same place on the Hard Drive.

Sorry, your information is gone forever.

--
Saruman

All Outgoing Mail Scanned By Symantec Antivirus 10

"MartinW" wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually, when you save a file, excel saves the workbook as a new file--with a
funny name. If that save is successful, excel will delete the old file (or
rename it to its backup name (like "backup of book1.xlk)) and rename the funny
named file to the original's name.

So an undelete/recovery program may still have a chance to recover that original
file.

"MartinW" wrote:

what the hell?

can anybody help me?

YES! There is lots of help on google but the SINGLE most IMPORTANT
step is to STOP using that computer.

When you delete something from a computer it is not actually
deleted, the place on the hard drive where it is stored is
simply marked as available for rewriting, and the CPU
will reuse that space for whatever it sees fit (sometimes at the
very next oppurtunity).

I will repeat what I said!!!

STOP USING THE COMPUTER NOW!!

When you search this problem on another computer
you will discover the details of what I am talking about.

HTH
Martin

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

cell History Wayne Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 7 May 2nd 07 03:52 PM
History Worksheet FP Novice Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 November 1st 06 02:52 PM
Eliminate anti-rollback in Excel 2000 DBrownBear Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 September 15th 06 04:03 PM
Clear History dk New Users to Excel 1 April 27th 06 04:45 PM
EXCEL HISTORY Wayne Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 October 17th 05 09:55 PM