LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
external usenet poster

Default Conditional Formatting to display text in one cell according to whattext is displayed in another...Please Help

I need to make an excel cell find a value in another cell and if the value is there display a specific word in the selected cell, so basically the text in a1 is either 'a' or 'b' or maybe that value isn't there. So in b1 I need a formula to search a1 for text 'a' or 'b' and if it finds 'a' it displays 'Apple', if it finds 'b' then it displays 'banana' and if it finds neither of those values then it displays 'error'

Please Help Me!!
  #3   Report Post  
external usenet poster

Default Conditional Formatting to display text in one cell according towhat text is displayed in another...Please Help

Cheers Claus! Appreciate it!!

What about if I want it to search for the word 'apples' but there was for instance "apples and pairs" text in the cell, it doesn't search within that specific phrase?
  #4   Report Post  
external usenet poster

Default Conditional Formatting to display text in one cell according to what text is displayed in another...Please Help

Hi,

Am Wed, 20 Jan 2016 12:13:27 -0800 (PST) schrieb :

What about if I want it to search for the word 'apples' but there was for instance "apples and pairs" text in the cell, it doesn't search within that specific phrase?

try:
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Apples",A1)),"a","")

Regards
Claus B.
--
Vista Ultimate / Windows7
Office 2007 Ultimate / 2010 Professional
  #5   Report Post  
external usenet poster

Default Conditional Formatting to display text in one cell according towhat text is displayed in another...Please Help

Hi CLaus,

But I still need it to search the words *apples* and *bananas* and if neither word is displayed display error, how would I string to search multiple words and if none of them words are displayed then *error is displayed?