Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Question

Hey I would like to know how this works, How Excel file can be open with these generated usable password, what is the logic behinds this scenario.

AABBAABBBAAW equals to 12345 in what sense ?

Cracked password Lock password
One usable password is AABBAABBBAAW 12345
One usable password is AAAABAABAAAx allthebest

Regards,
Mandeep baluja
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey I would like to know how this works, How Excel file can be open
with these generated usable password, what is the logic behinds this
scenario.

AABBAABBBAAW equals to 12345 in what sense ?

Cracked password Lock password
One usable password is AABBAABBBAAW 12345
One usable password is AAAABAABAAAx allthebest

Regards,
Mandeep baluja

How passwords work is by comparing a hash of the stored password
against a hash of the entered password. This means several different
strings *could* (in theory) generate the same hash.

If you want to lock unauthorized users out of your file you'll need to
implement encryption methodology that is managed via VBA, so only
certain sheets are viewable or editable by certain users.

This allows anyone to open your file, but all that displays is a login
sheet, and all other sheets are 'very hidden'. The login data is stored
on a 'very hidden' sheet in encrypted format.

The encryption methodology you use could use a simple Xor function, or
one of the CryptoAPI algorithms that require an encryption key/seed. I
use the latter because I already have licensing/activation methodology
in place for my apps where each has their own unique 40-character
encryption key so the key for App1.xla won't work with App2.xla, for
example.

None of this matters unless you can lock your VBA project *securely*
with a 3rd party utility like Unviewable+ or similar!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc