Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I recover an Excel File??

I have the 2007 home/student version, that operates with Microsoft Vista.
Every morning before I open the file (and its been two weeks since I've
backed it up)...I change the date on the file...so today I made it "SA Client
Outreach 10.10.07"...

When I opened up the file, it said this: The file you are trying to open,
'SA Client Outreach 10.10.07.xls', is in a different format than specified by
the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a
trust source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?

It then gives me the option of saying "Yes, no, or help." If I click yes,
it opens the file but its blank. The file itself was massive, but it now
says that it is 0 bites.

I have no idea how to recover the file, or what happened to it. Its as if
it just vanished into thin air.

Do you have any idea what I should do, or where it might have gone? Any
assistance you might be able to give I would really appreciate.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi J.,

[...]

The new native Excel 2007 file format comes with a different extension by
default an if you change that extension, Excel might complain (as you've
discovered. The proper extension for the 2007 file format is either:

.xlsx (workbooks with no macros)
.xlsm (workbooks with macros).

If the filesize says 0 bytes, well, that is what it contains: nothing. I'm
afraid you'll have to start digging for a backup copy (you do make a backup once
in a while?) or for an older copy.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com
Member of:
Professional Office Developer Association
www.proofficedev.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Jan for your help.

I have some older copies of the list and I will just have to rebuild it a
bit, and go on from there.

Take care,
Mark

"Jan Karel Pieterse" wrote:

Hi J.,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"J. Mark English" wrote:
Thank you Jan for your help.

I have some older copies of the list and I will just have to rebuild it a
bit, and go on from there.

Take care,
Mark

"Jan Karel Pieterse" wrote:

Hi J.,

[...]

www.proofficedev.com- Hide quoted text -

I think you can try to open a new excel document and copy the content
from the old file to the new one. If the file is really corrupt, you
can a utility called Advanced Excel Repair to repair your Excel xls
file. It works rather well for my corrupt Excel xls files. Its web
address is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/ But it is not free, so it can
be used when there is no better choice.

Junior Member

Use third party Excel repair tool which is an advanced solution for Microsoft Excel file recovery . The software designed to repair corrupted Microsoft Excel files and save them new Excel file data items. The tool allows you to preview the repaired excel file data before saving the file in new Excel file. Download this tool from here- http://www.datarepairtools.com/excel-recovery.html