Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to lookup based in the first 3 characters of a cell

Hi all,

I would like to know how I can perform a lookup formula to lookup a
column based on the first three characters of a cell.

i.e. Column A - AA1-0001, AB2-0002, etc

I would like to perform a lookup on the first three character ie.e AA1
or AB2 etc.

Thanks in advanced.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Am Sun, 14 Aug 2011 09:48:27 +1000 schrieb Mas:

i.e. Column A - AA1-0001, AB2-0002, etc

I would like to perform a lookup on the first three character ie.e AA1
or AB2 etc.

try:
=INDEX(A:A,MATCH("AA1*",A:A,0))
or