Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Is it possible to create a dropdown list with pictures/icons ?

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom Vandewiele wrote:
Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

As far as I know Excel's dropdown lists are only for text.

An effect similar to the one you are after could however be achieved
using VBA.

May last year I set up a sheet with a cell showing "Click here". When
clicked it changed to "Pick a Pic" and four small drawing objects
appeared around that cell. When one of the drawing objects was clicked
a macro ran, the drawing objects disappeared and the cell caption
reverted to "Click Here". The effect of the macro depended on which of
the four drawing objects was clicked.
Something similar could be done with your GIFs.
More detail would be required if you want assistance.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Tom,

A sample file of the sheet I described can be downloaded from here...

http://www.zshare.net/download/pick-a-pic-xls.html

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom

Programmatically............see JE McGimpsey's site for a method of showing
hidden pictures based upon a value in a cell. The value can be one of many in a
DV dropdown list.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 02:29:00 -0800, Tom Vandewiele <Tom
wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,

I tried the solution on the JE McGimpsey's site but i can't get it to work
fully. When i run the code the pictures dissapear, like they can't be found.

Could i maybe send you my excel file ?

Greets,
Tom

wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Tom

JE's example workbook should be downloaded so's you can have a look at how he
has done it.

As designed, only the picture associated with the DV dropdown choice will be
shown.

The rest are hidden.

Perhaps not what you needed?

Do you wish each picture to remain in view after it has been chosen from the
dropdown list?

The event code would have to re-written in order for that to occur.

Gord

wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gord,

i didn't explain myself properly.

i copied the code and the formulas from the site and off course changed the
names of the pictures to my own pictures.

but when i start selecting with the dropdown list in the first sheet all
pictures dissapear nomatter what selection i perform.

Grts,
Tom

wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Send the workbook to me Tom

Change the DOT and AT to get my email address.

Gord

wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you are looking for help with Excel development consider getting Excel
expert help from UK and US providers at: http://www.OfficeSoftworks.co.uk or
http://www.OfficeSoftworks.co.uk or
http://www.Excel-Expert.co.uk

"Tom Vandewiele" wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, I work in a school where I need to make point sheet for young children to
take home. I found your posting "is it possible to create a dropdown list
with picture/icons?" I was really excited to see this. However I was unable
to get this to work. I also wanted to take it a step more. I need three
expressions a smile, ok, and a frown. Each smiley needs to equal a value. the
smile-5, ok = 2.5 and frown=0. I need the value I pick to be added with other
columes to give me a total for the students day (placed at the bottom of the
chart.) Any Ideas on how this can be done?

Sandra

"Tom Vandewiele" wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is possible to select a value from a dropdown list and have an image
returned.

Other way round is not possible in a dropdown list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Tom Vandewiele" wrote:

Hi, i am a project manager trying to create a progress report in MS Excel
based on weather icons, these are small GIF's of sunny or cloudy weather. I
would like to create a dropdown list in the cells where a user can select the
relevant icon / gif.

is this possible ?

thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sandra,

I know what exactly what you are trying to achieve and yes it is possible !

I had the same problem last year and followed the recommended link to John
McGimpsey's web page on the subject. I was successful in getting his example
to work, however it was not exactly what i wanted, which was a drop down menu
of icons/images, not text.

I finally contacted a developer at OfficeSoftworks in England who built it
for me. Works like a charm!

His / their details are further up on this page but here they are again for
your convenience:
http://www.OfficeSoftworks.co.uk (UK Site offering Excel and Access
Consulting Service and Phone Support)
http://www.OfficeSoftworks.com (USA NYC Site UK Site offering Excel and
Access Consulting Service and Phone Support)

http://www.Excel-Expert.co.uk (Excel Consultant Service- seems to be the
same site)
http://www.AccessExpert.co.uk (similar site offering an access consulting
service. Haven't tried it though)

All the best with your with your project !