Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default change cell colour when cell data changes

One way using CF:
Create a background copy of the worksheet at each refreshment and apply CF
with this formula:
=A1<background!A1

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Bec G (Oz)€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi

I've built a resource planning spreadsheet that is populated by macros. In
each month (in columns) it populates with 1 if there is a person in the
position or may be blank or 0 if the position is vacant. The spreadsheet goes
out to 2014 monthly. The 12 months of each year are colour coded as one
colour. I have been asked to have the cell colour change if the user changes
the value of the cell.

The spreadsheet will be periodically refreshed by the macro and saved as a
new version so the orginal colours need to be reinstated with and changes
then causing the cell to be changed.

I can't get it to work with conditional formatting, any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your question is still ambiguous: what should happen if user changes the
original zero value to 0.5?
Should color be yellow in order to satisfy the 1st condition ("anything from
blank or zero to 1.0 cell colour is yellow")
or red in order to satisfy the 2nd condition (User changed to a value
between zero and 10.0)?

Stefi

€˛Bec G (Oz)€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I'm not sure what you mean either.

I don't have a problem with refreshing to the original colour. What I can't
work out how to do is to change the cell from the original colour to a new
colour if the value in the cell changes. I tried one of the other options
mentioned in someone elses post but as soon as I enter on the cell it changes
which I don't want. It only needs to change under say the following example:

orginal value = anything from blank or zero to 1.0 cell colour is yellow
Users changes to anything from blank, zero to 10.0 colour is now red

Any ideas?

"Stefi" wrote:

Sorry, Don, I don't understand, what is the problem with my post. Please,
explain it!
Stefi

€˛Don Guillett€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Please append to threads instead of starting a new one.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Stefi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It would be a little bit complicated to describe the solution. Could you give
an address where to send a sample XLS?
Stefi

€˛Bec G (Oz)€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Sorry, the intention of the spreasheet is 1.0 means there is one full time
person in the job, 0.5 means there is a half time person in the job i.e the
work 2 and a half days a week compared to 5 days a week. Likewise if someone
works 4 days a week they would 0.8.

As people are going to be leaving, going partime, working on other jobs the
user then changes the value to be the new working time eg. if Bob currently
works full time each month would be populated with 1.0 when the data is
loaded. If he goes to 4 days a week the user would change the value to 0.8
each month and if he quit the user would change the value to 0 or blank.

What I want to do is have any changes the user does change the cell colour
to highlight there has been a change - this is important as we are talking
about approx 2,000 people.

Does this make more sense?

"Stefi" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Then in which case do you want it change to yellow?

€˛Bec G (Oz)€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Stefi

To clarify I just realised in my original post I had the following

User changes to anything from blank, zero to 10.0 colour is now red

this should actually read

User changes to anything from blank, zero to 1.0 colour is now red

email address is

Thanks for your help on this