Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you print multiple worksheets double sided?

We publish an annual publication of detailed tables. Each section of the book
is created in a single Excel workbook - each page of the book is one Excel
sheet. We have tried selecting all sheets and formatting the printer to print
double sided, but each sheet still prints on a separate page. Also, when
trying to number the pages, you can select all sheets, select the first
number, but the same number shows up on all sheets. Is this a limitation of
Excel?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can you print multiple worksheets double sided?

Yes, you can print multiple worksheets double-sided in Excel. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Open the Excel workbook that contains the worksheets you want to print double-sided.
  2. Select all the worksheets you want to print by clicking on the first worksheet tab, holding down the Shift key, and clicking on the last worksheet tab. Alternatively, you can select multiple non-contiguous worksheets by holding down the Ctrl key and clicking on each worksheet tab.
  3. Click on the Page Layout tab in the ribbon at the top of the Excel window.
  4. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the Page Setup group to open the Page Setup dialog box.
  5. Click on the Margins tab in the Page Setup dialog box.
  6. Under the Multiple pages dropdown menu, select 2 pages per sheet.
  7. Under the Margins dropdown menu, select Custom Margins.
  8. In the Page Setup dialog box, set the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right margins to the desired values for your printer.
  9. Click on the Sheet tab in the Page Setup dialog box.
  10. Under the Print titles section, click on the Rows to repeat at top box and select the row(s) you want to repeat at the top of each printed page.
  11. Under the Print titles section, click on the Columns to repeat at left box and select the column(s) you want to repeat at the left of each printed page.
  12. Click OK to close the Page Setup dialog box.
  13. Click on the File tab in the ribbon at the top of the Excel window.
  14. Click on Print.
  15. In the Print dialog box, under Settings, select the printer you want to use.
  16. Under Settings, select the double-sided printing option for your printer.
  17. Under Settings, select the number of copies you want to print.
  18. Click on the Print button to start printing.

Regarding the page numbering issue, Excel does not have a built-in feature to automatically number pages across multiple worksheets. However, you can manually add page numbers to each worksheet by inserting a footer and typing the page number in the desired format (e.g. "Page 1 of 10") in the center or right section of the footer. To do this:

1. Click on the Insert tab in the ribbon at the top of the Excel window.
2. Click on the Header & Footer button in the Text group.
3. Click on the Footer button and select the desired footer format (e.g. Blank, Simple, or Built-in).
4. In the center or right section of the footer, type the desired page number format (e.g. "Page &P of &N").
5. Click on the Close Header and Footer button to close the footer.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 for each worksheet in the workbook.
7. When you print the worksheets, the page numbers will be included in the footer of each printed page.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Publisher Lyn wrote:
We publish an annual publication of detailed tables. Each section of the book
is created in a single Excel workbook - each page of the book is one Excel
sheet. We have tried selecting all sheets and formatting the printer to print
double sided, but each sheet still prints on a separate page. Also, when
trying to number the pages, you can select all sheets, select the first
number, but the same number shows up on all sheets. Is this a limitation of
Excel?

I think... what you need to do is set the print area on each sheet of
the work book so that you have one page on each sheet, do this for each
sheet. Then... this is the annoying part and the only way I have
managed to make this work. Click on each sheet then click FilePrint.
Go into the properties and click double sided as I'm sure you have
already done... then instead if clicking ok to start printing click
close. Then repeat this process for each individual sheet by tabbing
accross to each one clicking print and then changing the property. Once
you have done this for all sheets go back to the first sheet, click
print then select entire workbook and then press ok. I believe this
should then print each sheet back to back accross the entire workbook.
At least I have got it to do this anyway after much faffing around!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

We publish an annual publication of detailed tables. Each section of
the book is created in a single Excel workbook - each page of the book
is one Excel sheet. We have tried selecting all sheets and formatting
the printer to print double sided, but each sheet still prints on a
separate page. Also, when trying to number the pages, you can select
all sheets, select the first number, but the same number shows up on
all sheets. Is this a limitation of Excel?

For the page numbering part, you might try this after selecting all sheets:
File Page setup Page
and put "Auto" (without quotes) in the "First page number" field.

Then print the "Entire workbook" at once.

For the double-sided part, I’ve done it this way. It’s not elegant,
admittedly.

Print the workbook to the “Microsoft Office Document Image Writer.” This
opens several “Microsoft Office Document Imaging” windows.

Next, combine the worksheets into a single document. To do this, notice
that each of the “Imaging” windows has a left pane with thumbnails of the
page(s). Using right-click, “Copy” one or more thumbnails from the left
pane of one window and “Paste” it into the left pane of another. (Drag-and-
drop works.) Repeating this, the entire document can be merged into a
single window. Finally, print from that window.

If you do this sort of thing a lot, you might want to look at
http://fineprint.com/products/fineprint/index.html
for third-party software that (among many other features) can combine
several print jobs into one, with fewer steps than using Image Writer.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to pick the print area to be the same on all sheets and I am
trying to avoid going into each sheet because I have 50 sheets. There has to
be a way to save time.
Rosemary

" wrote:

Publisher Lyn wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using VBA code you can set the same print range and rows to repeat at top on
each sheet in grouped sheets.

For anyone interested in the code see this google search result with Dave
Peterson and myself posting. The print area code is from Bob Flanagan.

http://snipurl.com/106kz

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:02:12 -0700, rviviana
wrote:

I am trying to pick the print area to be the same on all sheets and I am
trying to avoid going into each sheet because I have 50 sheets. There has to
be a way to save time.
Rosemary

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm also finding any long-term solution for this problem.
You may use this method to print as one file on the printing dialogue:

1. Select "Page(s) From __ to __"
2. Select "Active sheet(s)"
3. Press "OK"

"Publisher Lyn" wrote:

We publish an annual publication of detailed tables. Each section of the book
is created in a single Excel workbook - each page of the book is one Excel
sheet. We have tried selecting all sheets and formatting the printer to print
double sided, but each sheet still prints on a separate page. Also, when
trying to number the pages, you can select all sheets, select the first
number, but the same number shows up on all sheets. Is this a limitation of
Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is how to get multiple worksheets in one workbook printed with
true double sided printing (to prevent each worksheet from starting a
new page):
* Open each worksheet that you are going to print individually
* Go to the File / Page Setup menu and click on the Print... button
(you are not going to print at this time, but you need to set each
of the worksheets to the double sided option)
* When the print window comes up, click on the Properties... button
* Under the 2 sided print, change the drop down menu to 2 sided
printing
* Click on the OK button
* This takes you back to the print window - DO NOT click on the OK
button (it will print the sheet) - instead click on the Close button

You have now reset that individual worksheet to double sided printing.
You need to do that for every other individual worksheet that you
intend to print from the workbook.

Then when you are ready to print, click on the first tab of the
worksheet you want to print.
Then hold down the control key (Ctrl) and click on each other
worksheet tab that you want to print
(they will all change from gray to white as you select them to show
you which ones you have picked)
Then go to the File / Print menu, make sure that under "Print What"
the button for Active Sheets is selected.
Then go to the Properties... button and make sure that it is set for
double sided printing.
Then print a copy.

Hopefully you will now have a true double sided copy of the multiple
worksheets in your Excel workbook without each tab starting a new
page.

One note of caution...
When you have multiple worksheets selected in this manner, if you make
changes to the page setup (margins, etc.) the changes will be applied
to every once of the worksheets that are in the selected group. It is
easy to forget that they are all selected and to change what you think
is just the worksheet that is showing, and mistakenly change all of
the others. Also, if you save with multiple worksheets selected, when
you open the workbook again, they will still be selected. Learned
this one the hard way... :-(

Barb

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:22:01 AM UTC-4, Publisher Lyn wrote:
We publish an annual publication of detailed tables. Each section of the book
is created in a single Excel workbook - each page of the book is one Excel
sheet. We have tried selecting all sheets and formatting the printer to print
double sided, but each sheet still prints on a separate page. Also, when
trying to number the pages, you can select all sheets, select the first
number, but the same number shows up on all sheets. Is this a limitation of
Excel?

The easiest way I have found to print multiple tabs from Excel is to save the entire workbook as a PDF. Be sure all of your tabs are selected. Once it is a PDF - print normally.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, October 12, 2006 11:22:01 AM UTC-4, Publisher Lyn wrote:
We publish an annual publication of detailed tables. Each section of the book
is created in a single Excel workbook - each page of the book is one Excel
sheet. We have tried selecting all sheets and formatting the printer to print
double sided, but each sheet still prints on a separate page. Also, when
trying to number the pages, you can select all sheets, select the first
number, but the same number shows up on all sheets. Is this a limitation of
Excel?

Save the workbook as a PDF then print as Double sided from the PDF document.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The best way to print double side is just export the workbook to pdf and this will make it easy to print double side.
Step by step instructions
1- Open the workbook
2- Select all sheets.(go to first sheet then press shift and while holding shift go to last sheet and click on it. this results in selection of all sheet)
3- File Menu and save as file .pdf
4- Once this created open pdf and print it as you like.

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much for your assistance

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher Lyn View Post
We publish an annual publication of detailed tables. Each section of the book is created in a single Excel workbook - each page of the book is one Excel sheet. We have tried selecting all sheets and formatting the printer to print double sided, but each sheet still prints on a separate page. Also, when trying to number the pages, you can select all sheets, select the first number, but the same number shows up on all sheets. Is this a limitation of Excel?
Cảm Æ¡n bạn vì bÃ*i viết rất bổ Ã*ch vÃ* thú vị

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, January 6, 2010 at 1:42:39 AM UTC+3, Barb wrote:
[...]

Thank you, this is perfect & clear procedure!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, December 6, 2006 at 2:31:56 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Publisher Lyn wrote:
[...]

I tried using Microsoft XPS Printer, it wouldn't print duplex. PDF WOULD.