Junior Member

Default Automatically Maintaining Cell Values for Comparison

I’m importing data into Excel at various times. (Every ½ hour)
When the data initially populates the appropriate cells a formula calculates a specific value.

As soon as the next time interval occurs the data re-populates and over-writes the same cells and the formula re-calculates the value.

Is there any way to automatically reference and save the initial calculated value prior to the next data import for comparison purposes?

Right now I’m doing it manually with the Copy/Paste Special/Value.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Im importing data into Excel at various times. (Every ½ hour)
When the data initially populates the appropriate cells a formula
calculates a specific value.

As soon as the next time interval occurs the data re-populates and
over-writes the same cells and the formula re-calculates the value.

Is there any way to automatically reference and save the initial
calculated value prior to the next data import for comparison
purposes?

Right now Im doing it manually with the Copy/Paste Special/Value.

You could have subsequent imports populate below the 1st import,
perhaps, in the next empty row!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS[_6_] View Post
I€™m importing data into Excel at various times. (Every ½ hour)
When the data initially populates the appropriate cells a formula
calculates a specific value.

As soon as the next time interval occurs the data re-populates and
over-writes the same cells and the formula re-calculates the value.

Is there any way to automatically reference and save the initial
calculated value prior to the next data import for comparison
purposes?

Right now I€™m doing it manually with the Copy/Paste Special/Value.

You could have subsequent imports populate below the 1st import,
perhaps, in the next empty row!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!

comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Okay that might work, but how would you define where to populate each successive group of data entries each time it was called for import?
I'm assuming then that each successive import is placed in a new location and that the previous data imported would not be affected.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

'GS[_6_ Wrote:
;1625134'] I€™m importing data into Excel at various
[...]

It depends how you've designed your worksheet! Typically, data imports
come as blocks of data and are typically located below (or beside if
feasible) previous data. Regular interval data usually comes from some
remote location over a period of time, then analyed in some way.

As a general "Best Practice", whatever purpose you have for importing
the data should be a separate process from the import process...

import data; process that data

import more data; process that data
...and so on

...so the collection of the data happens in a consistent structured
manner. You can separate the blocks of data by a blank row (or col), or
keep it contiguous and use RowHeight (or ColWidth) to give the
appearance of spacing.

The import process usually will locate where the new data goes relative
to existing data on the target sheet. Normally, the 1st block of data
goes below the header row using standard 'NextRow' methods based on 1
specific col in each block always having contiguous data so its last
row isn't blank.

HTH