Junior Member

Default Character Link

Hello, I'll try to explain this as best I can. I am not the most technical user but I'm trying to learn. What I'm trying to do is figure out if by using the * character I can use it to link to a different cell. On sheet A you'll see the same name, one with & without the *. Is there a way to make it link to either the green or blue cells on sheet by just by that character alone? Thanks in advance for any help!

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixster View Post
Hello, I'll try to explain this as best I can. I am not the most technical user but I'm trying to learn. What I'm trying to do is figure out if by using the * character I can use it to link to a different cell. On sheet A you'll see the same name, one with & without the *. Is there a way to make it link to either the green or blue cells on sheet by just by that character alone? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Rixster,

What do you mean by "link" exactly? Your post doesn't make it clear what you're actually trying to do...

Also, a sample workbook rather than an image file will yield an appropriate reply far quicker.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi Rixster,

What do you mean by "link" exactly? Your post doesn't make it clear what you're actually trying to do...

Also, a sample workbook rather than an image file will yield an appropriate reply far quicker.
Sorry, can't post the workbook. Ricght now, it's set up so that when John oe's name goes in on sheet A, it pulls the $ amounts from the green cells in sheet B. I'm looking for a way to have it recognize a change so instead of pulling from the green in sheet b it would pull from the blue. so John Doe = Green cells on sheet B, John Doe* = Blue cells on sheet B. Is that possible?
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi Rixster,

What do you mean by "link" exactly? Your post doesn't make it clear what you're actually trying to do...

Also, a sample workbook rather than an image file will yield an appropriate reply far quicker.
Sorry, can't post the workbook. Right now, it's set up so that when John Doe's name goes in on sheet A, it pulls the $ amounts from the green cells in sheet B. I'm looking for a way to have it recognize a change so instead of pulling from the green in sheet b it would pull from the blue. so John Doe = Green cells on sheet B, John Doe* = Blue cells on sheet B. Is that possible?