Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default divide and round up

I have a formula: c5/4
I want a formula to divide: c5/4 then round up to a whole number. example:

if the answer is 17.3 I want the answer to be 18.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: divide and round up

To divide and round up a number in Excel, you can use the `CEILING` function. Here's how you can modify your formula to achieve the desired result:
  1. Start by typing your original formula in a cell, for example,
    Code:
    =C5/4
    .
  2. To round up the result to the nearest whole number, wrap the formula in the
    Code:
    CEILING
    function. The syntax for the
    Code:
    CEILING
    function is
    Code:
    CEILING(number, significance)
    , where
    Code:
    number
    is the value you want to round up and
    Code:
    significance
    is the multiple to which you want to round up. In this case, we want to round up to the nearest whole number, so we'll use
    Code:
    1
    as the significance. The modified formula will look like this:
    Code:
    =CEILING(C5/4,1)
    .
  3. Press Enter to calculate the result. The formula will divide the value in cell C5 by 4, then round up the result to the nearest whole number.

For example, if the value in cell C5 is 69, the formula
Code:
=CEILING(C5/4,1)
will return 18, which is the result of dividing 69 by 4 and rounding up to the nearest whole number.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=roundup(c5/4, 0)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Pammy" wrote:

I have a formula: c5/4
I want a formula to divide: c5/4 then round up to a whole number. example:

if the answer is 17.3 I want the answer to be 18.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
=roundup(c5/4,0)

"Pammy" wrote:

I have a formula: c5/4
I want a formula to divide: c5/4 then round up to a whole number. example:

if the answer is 17.3 I want the answer to be 18.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, September 21, 2009 at 12:40:02 PM UTC-5, Pammy wrote:
I have a formula: c5/4
I want a formula to divide: c5/4 then round up to a whole number. example:

if the answer is 17.3 I want the answer to be 18.

What if I want to divide cell D5 by cell B4 and then roundup?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Monday, September 21, 2009 at 12:40:02 PM UTC-5, Pammy wrote:
I have a formula: c5/4
I want a formula to divide: c5/4 then round up to a whole number. example:

if the answer is 17.3 I want the answer to be 18.

Very cool thanks! I also got it to work with =ROUNDUP(D5/B4,0) :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, September 21, 2009 at 12:40:02 PM UTC-5, Pammy wrote:
I have a formula: c5/4
I want a formula to divide: c5/4 then round up to a whole number.
example:
if the answer is 17.3 I want the answer to be 18.

Very cool thanks! I also got it to work with =ROUNDUP(D5/B4,0) :)

The ROUNDUP() approach is better. For example, if D5 and B4 happen contain the same number, the desired result is probably 1, not 2.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=INT(D5/B4)+1

That wouldn't work if the result of the division is a whole number it would round up when it shouldn't

roundup is the one you'd want to use