Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Insert symbol in front of value

I have a basic formula of =Sum(J2-I2) for an entire column and I am needing a
specific format.

If the sum equals a value greater than the value in cell J2 place a + sumbol
in front of that value.

I hope I am making sense. Please help..
2-3=+1
--
Thank you for your time.
"Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if you mean SUM(J2-I2) J2, then this will only occur if I2 is negative: is
this what you mean?

You don't need to use SUM:

=J2-I2

in your example is J2=2, I2=3 ? ... so what you mean is if I2J2 then add
"+" symbol. If this not true, what is the result.

Or do you always want the result to be positive

ie.=ABS(J2-I2)

????

"Aggies" wrote:

I have a basic formula of =Sum(J2-I2) for an entire column and I am needing a
specific format.

If the sum equals a value greater than the value in cell J2 place a + sumbol
in front of that value.

I hope I am making sense. Please help..
2-3=+1
--
Thank you for your time.
"Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the following:

=IF(I2J2,"+"&I2,I2)

Although it will convert your value to a text string in the process

--
Kevin Backmann

"Aggies" wrote:

I have a basic formula of =Sum(J2-I2) for an entire column and I am needing a
specific format.

If the sum equals a value greater than the value in cell J2 place a + sumbol
in front of that value.

I hope I am making sense. Please help..
2-3=+1
--
Thank you for your time.
"Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well this is what I have...

Column 1: Goal to visit is 5
Column 2: Actual customer visited is 8
Column 3: I exceeded my goal by 3 and I want is to show +3
If my actual customer visited is zero, then Column 3 will equal 5. Meaning
I still need 5 to reach my goal.
If my actual customer visited is 5, than Column 3 would equal 0. Meaning I
have met my goal.

I hope this is better.

Thanks so much.