Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hide/Unhide Toggle

Greetings All:

Looking to control some large spread-sheets (SS) by the use of hide/unhide
toggles.

The application is such that on the larger "groupings" in the SS, the user
can "collapse" that grouping if it is not needed, in order to "shorten" the
SS.

In order to determine if my application is feasible, I'd like to get some
confirmation of a few basic items first.
1: Are custom dialog boxes the only way to create toggles?, or is there a
way to do this IN SS cells - (if so, how?)
2: If custom dialog boxes are the (only) way to go, is there a way to "lock"
the dialog box onto a specific cell? (if so, how?)
My experience to date with dialog boxes is that the box looses its
"position" within the SS when rows are added or deleted above that location.
3: Assuming we're doing OK, so far, is there a way to have a duplicate
toggle that works on a given range - One at the "top" of the range and one at
the "bottom".
I'm picturing the lite switches one has at the top and at the bottom of a
stairway, that operates the same lite(s). (also, if so, how?)

Thank-you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not use grouping?
Data - Group & Outline - Group
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BEEJAY" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim:
Thanks much for the prompt response.
That would be the most logical way, but...........
the macros that will be used are not simply to hide/unhide complete groups,
but
they have to hide only the non-selected items in that group, as indicated in
column B.
If "x", then hide, if "*", then don't hide.
I know that all these templates I have made, should be in an actual data-base.
The data-base they will eventually end up in is a complex "in-house"
designed layout.
In the meantime, management does not want to spend time or money on a
"temporary" data-base program like Access, or......
SO, I get to keep playing with Excel.
If not for the detailed help received on this user group, I would not be
receiving the kudos that I now (occassionally) get.
Thanks everyone.
So, in order to determine whether or not I can continue, what are the actual

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

Why not use grouping?
Data - Group & Outline - Group
--