Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default chart by date

I have two columns, m and n. In those columns I have a name and a
corresponding date. example:
m n
Mark 2/22/07
Steve 1/12/07
Steve 1/11/07
Mark 2/1/07
Greg 1/1/07

These columns will have multiple entries for the same name and date. I need
to create a chart that breaks the information down, counting how many times
per month these names show up. What I would like to see is a chart that on
the left axis count up from zero and the lower axis breaks each month down
and gives me a column for each name.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I will assume the names are in A2:A102; dates in B2:B102
Enter the unique names in (for example) E1:G1
In D2:D13, enter the numbers 1,2,3,... 11,12
In E2 enter the formula
=SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$102=E$1),--(MONTH($B$2:$B$102)=$D2))
copy this down to row 13 and across to the last name
Make a chart of the new data

OR
Make a Pivot Table
and if using XL2003 have the chart be made automatically
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme