Tom

Default Row selections by row # OR by even/odd rows in another spreadsheet

Is there a way in Excel 2003 to ONLY select ODD numbered rows in a
formula/calculation?
For example, in Sheet1 I have a person's name or company name that is
contained in all odd rows (1, 3, 5, 7....) in column A. I'm creating a
formula for Sheet2 that references the odd rows of Sheet, but I don't want to
manually change each reference in the formulas for each cell. Row 2 contains
phone numbers, city, state etc.
The formula is something like
"=if(mid(Sheet1!A1,1,1)="(",A1,mid(Sheet1!A1,5 ,4)) and I have other similar
but more complex statements for the other columns of Sheet2.
So, how do I JUST reference the ODD rows in another sheet to do the
calculations and comparisons I need? Once the ODD rows of Sheet1 are
referenced in Sheet2, I can create a similar conditional statement for the
EVEN rows of Sheet1 that will be placed in Sheet2.
Essentially, what I'm trying to do is to parse out the Sheet1 information
that is contained in TWO rows (one odd and one even) so that I have a SINGLE
row of useable data in Sheet2 to import into a database. It's just that the
source data is two rows and not one and I can't change this.
If you have an alternative idea, great....
TIA,
Tom