Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Run data analysis

I don't know if this is possible or not:

I import data from a manufacturing process.
Column A - Date
Column B - Product Name

I want to have a table that displays the date (column A) when Product Name
(Column B) changes.

Data Example
11/01/08 8:00am 23LIN
11/01/08 8:30am 23LIN
11/01/08 9:00am 23LIN
11/01/08 9:30am 33LIN
11/01/08 10:00am 33LIN
11/01/08 10:30am 33LIN

What I'm looking for is the automatic calculation of a table that would say
11/01/08 8:00am 23lin
11/01/08 9:30am 33lin

I've tried everything that I can think of and haven't come up with anything
that's fully automated. Am I asking the impossible?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try

=MAX(IF(C$2:C$7=B16,A$2:A$7+B$2:B$7,""))

Where the Dates are in A2:A7, the times B2:B7 and the item you want to look
up in the range C2:C7.

In B16 I entered 23LIN

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Papergal" wrote:

I don't know if this is possible or not:

I import data from a manufacturing process.
Column A - Date
Column B - Product Name

I want to have a table that displays the date (column A) when Product Name
(Column B) changes.

Data Example
11/01/08 8:00am 23LIN
11/01/08 8:30am 23LIN
11/01/08 9:00am 23LIN
11/01/08 9:30am 33LIN
11/01/08 10:00am 33LIN
11/01/08 10:30am 33LIN

What I'm looking for is the automatic calculation of a table that would say
11/01/08 8:00am 23lin
11/01/08 9:30am 33lin

I've tried everything that I can think of and haven't come up with anything
that's fully automated. Am I asking the impossible?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It doen's do exactly what I need, but has got me thinking. One note is that
the date and time are in a single cell, but that doesn't really affect
anything.

Using the max formula, I only get a value when the formula is in the same
row as the cell that I'm testing. Another twist is that there are muliple
occurances of product name in a list, so in theory this would give only the
date of the last run.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep playing with it and see if I can come up with
something.

"Papergal" wrote:

I don't know if this is possible or not:

I import data from a manufacturing process.
Column A - Date
Column B - Product Name

I want to have a table that displays the date (column A) when Product Name
(Column B) changes.

Data Example
11/01/08 8:00am 23LIN
11/01/08 8:30am 23LIN
11/01/08 9:00am 23LIN
11/01/08 9:30am 33LIN
11/01/08 10:00am 33LIN
11/01/08 10:30am 33LIN

What I'm looking for is the automatic calculation of a table that would say
11/01/08 8:00am 23lin
11/01/08 9:30am 33lin

I've tried everything that I can think of and haven't come up with anything
that's fully automated. Am I asking the impossible?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi. Here's one idea.
I'll assume your data in in A1:B7.
In C1, give it a heading, say "Change"
In C2, place an "X"
In C3, use a formula like =IF(B2=B3,"","X") and copy down.
Basically, an "X" shows up where the data changes.
Then, go to Data | Filter, and display only those rows with an "X"

- - -
HTH
Dana DeLouis