Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
EM EM is offline

Default How do I stop "global" hyperlinks changing to "local" links?

I am creating a series of spreadsheets which are used by multiple users on
different computers. When we create the links we use a "global" reference
referring to the server name:

\\server_name\Directory 1\Directory 2\document name.doc

However, once someone clicks on the link it defaults to a "local" link to
where they have mapped the drive, eg.

......\Directory%202\document%20name.doc

This means that if the document is save the link dose not work from another
computer.

How do you stop excel chanding the hyperlink you insert?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try the HYPERLINK() function:

=HYPERLINK("file:///\\server_name\Directory 1\Directory 2\document name.doc")
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200801

"Em" wrote:

I am creating a series of spreadsheets which are used by multiple users on
different computers. When we create the links we use a "global" reference
referring to the server name:

\\server_name\Directory 1\Directory 2\document name.doc

However, once someone clicks on the link it defaults to a "local" link to
where they have mapped the drive, eg.

.....\Directory%202\document%20name.doc

This means that if the document is save the link dose not work from another
computer.

How do you stop excel chanding the hyperlink you insert?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A few people have said that this has resolved the problem for them:

File|Properties|Summary Tab|Hyperlink Base
change it to C:\
(something that's always available)

I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function. It has never failed me this
way:

=hyperlink("file:////yourpathtothe/something.xxx","Click me")

==============
If you have to change lots and lots and lots back...

You could use the code from David McRitchie's site:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

(If it's just a few, I'd do it manually.)

Em wrote:

I am creating a series of spreadsheets which are used by multiple users on
different computers. When we create the links we use a "global" reference
referring to the server name:

\\server_name\Directory 1\Directory 2\document name.doc

However, once someone clicks on the link it defaults to a "local" link to
where they have mapped the drive, eg.

.....\Directory%202\document%20name.doc

This means that if the document is save the link dose not work from another
computer.

How do you stop excel chanding the hyperlink you insert?

--

Dave Peterson