Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default LINEST bug

Recently had Excel 2003 SP2 loaded onto my PC. When I tried to use LINEST
function, it did not behave correctly. For a simple linear equation, y = mx
+ b, when I filled in "=LINEST(Y-Data, X-Data, True, True)", with X-Data and
Y-Data the ranges containing the single columns of data as appropriate, the
function results were correct. However, when I tried to use it to evaluate
parametric data for two or more X-variables, such as y=ax1 + bx2 + cx3, it
only returns the coefficient for the x3 variable, showing a=0 and b=0. Is
there a bug in the LINEST function in Excel 2003? If not, and there is just
something to do with the Excel load on my PC, is there a way to correct it
without totally reinstalling MS Office?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can't reproduce this. Just a couple of checks - do you have your
X1,X2,X3 in contiguous columns (e.g., =LINEST(D1:D50,A1:C50,TRUE,TRUE))?

Are you selecting at least a 4-column by 5 row area to array-enter the
formula?

In article ,
Mark Schreiber wrote:

Recently had Excel 2003 SP2 loaded onto my PC. When I tried to use LINEST
function, it did not behave correctly. For a simple linear equation, y = mx
+ b, when I filled in "=LINEST(Y-Data, X-Data, True, True)", with X-Data and
Y-Data the ranges containing the single columns of data as appropriate, the
function results were correct. However, when I tried to use it to evaluate
parametric data for two or more X-variables, such as y=ax1 + bx2 + cx3, it
only returns the coefficient for the x3 variable, showing a=0 and b=0. Is
there a bug in the LINEST function in Excel 2003? If not, and there is just
something to do with the Excel load on my PC, is there a way to correct it
without totally reinstalling MS Office?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Must have been some sort of glitch in the way Excel was running on my PC that
week. When I went back to confirm how I had things set up, according to your
comments, I found that I had things set up correctly. But this time I could
not reproduce the problem. Thanks.