Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculated field formula in pivot

Hi, guys,

I have a pivot table with counts by month of H, L, & U.
(high, low, or unchanged days in a stock index.)

Change over Prior Day (count by month)
H L U
Date ...
Feb 17 ... 15 4 -
Jan 17 ... 9 10 1
Dec 16 ... 12 9

I want a new calculated field showing percentages.

H / L
or maybe ( H + U ) / L
or maybe H / ( L + U )

(I have to think about the formula some more, as to what
will be most useful.)

Anyway, how do I put this sort of calculated field into
my pivot? I know how to insert a calculated field. I
don't know what formula I would use for this.
Help appreciated.

Cheers,
/sarah
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Friday, 3 March 2017 00:59:26 UTC+11, Sarah H wrote:
Hi, guys,

I have a pivot table with counts by month of H, L, & U.
(high, low, or unchanged days in a stock index.)

Change over Prior Day (count by month)
H L U
Date ...
Feb 17 ... 15 4 -
Jan 17 ... 9 10 1
Dec 16 ... 12 9

I want a new calculated field showing percentages.

H / L
or maybe ( H + U ) / L
or maybe H / ( L + U )

(I have to think about the formula some more, as to what
will be most useful.)

Anyway, how do I put this sort of calculated field into
my pivot? I know how to insert a calculated field. I
don't know what formula I would use for this.
Help appreciated.

Cheers,
/sarah

Hi Sarah
On the off chance you still have this issue,

I'd suggest if you want to show each figure as a percentage of the total you'd need to put in three calculated fields, with each being the individual count divided by the total:

H/(H+U+L)
L/(H+U+L)
U/(H+U+L)

if this makes no sense then I missed the point of your question. if it helps then whoohoo!

Ron