Jim

Default VLOOKUP Pls help!!!!

Hi i just started off with VLOOKUP function but it doesn't seem to work , i
want ot have the basic understanding of how it functions?

Example

A B C
1 ITEMS COST
2 Ham 2
3 Cheese 4
4 Eggs 6
5 Pork 5

Now if i want to lookup how much does ham costs?

the forumal wd be:
=VLOOKUP(Ham,A1:B5,2,FALSE)

I believ the formula is right , but i am confused in which cell do i need to
write it? If i write it in C2, it returns #NAME?.

Pls tell where do i need to write the formula?
--
Any help appreciated!
Jim

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

=VLOOKUP("Ham",$A$2:$B$5,2,FALSE)
or
=VLOOKUP(A2,$A$2:$B$5,2,FALSE)

Arvi Laanemets

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi i just started off with VLOOKUP function but it doesn't seem to work ,

want ot have the basic understanding of how it functions?

Example

A B C
1 ITEMS COST
2 Ham 2
3 Cheese 4
4 Eggs 6
5 Pork 5

Now if i want to lookup how much does ham costs?

the forumal wd be:
=VLOOKUP(Ham,A1:B5,2,FALSE)

I believ the formula is right , but i am confused in which cell do i need

write it? If i write it in C2, it returns #NAME?.

Pls tell where do i need to write the formula?
--
Any help appreciated!
Jim
India

JulieD

Hi

you've also received replies to your post at microsoft.public.excel - just
for future info, it's generally not necessary to post the same question to
multiple groups.

Cheers
JulieD

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi i just started off with VLOOKUP function but it doesn't seem to work ,
want ot have the basic understanding of how it functions?

Example

A B C
1 ITEMS COST
2 Ham 2
3 Cheese 4
4 Eggs 6
5 Pork 5

Now if i want to lookup how much does ham costs?

the forumal wd be:
=VLOOKUP(Ham,A1:B5,2,FALSE)

I believ the formula is right , but i am confused in which cell do i need
write it? If i write it in C2, it returns #NAME?.

Pls tell where do i need to write the formula?
--
Any help appreciated!
Jim
India

Jim

Miss if u r not aware, not everyone is like u n me , subscribe to both
newsgroups! So sometimes u get better answers and by the way its none of
your business!

Got it!

Cheerrs

Jim'

--

,
want ot have the basic understanding of how it functions?

Example

A B C
1 ITEMS COST
2 Ham 2
3 Cheese 4
4 Eggs 6
5 Pork 5

Now if i want to lookup how much does ham costs?

the forumal wd be:
=VLOOKUP(Ham,A1:B5,2,FALSE)

I believ the formula is right , but i am confused in which cell do i

need
write it? If i write it in C2, it returns #NAME?.

Pls tell where do i need to write the formula?
--
Any help appreciated!
Jim
India

JulieD

Hi Jim

the reason we ask people not to multi-post is that someone may spend
considerable time working out an answer for a question only to discover that
someone else has answered it in another group - which is, as you might
imagine, annoying for those of us who do answer questions in this group.

Regards
JulieD

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Dave Peterson

Just to add to JulieD's response.

If you do feel the need to post to lots of newsgroups (I agree with JulieD and
don't think you need to), include all your newsgroups in one post.

This is called crossposting and when someone responds to your message, it'll be
seen in the other groups.

What you did is called multiposting. And each thread is independent. This is
irritating for people who suggest answers--but it's bad for you, too.

You have to check multiple newsgroups for responses. And you don't get the
added benefit of someone seeing all the ideas and improving on them. They're
limited to just the thread they see.

"Jim" wrote in message
[...]

Gord Dibben

Jim

There are a great bunch of regulars that monitor all the Excel News Groups.

Posting to one group only will ensure that your post is read by 100% of the
regulars and MVP's.

Julie is one of those regulars.

Pointing out that multi-posting is unnecessary and wasteful of band-width and
user resources should be everyone's business.

I would like to direct you to Chip Pearson's "Hints for new posters" site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

Gord Dibben Excel MVP