Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How to add Upper/lower control limit lines to a graph (not drawn)

I have several quality charts that I do monthly. How can I get the the
upper, lower and center lines to appear at a specific data point (number) as
part of hte chart format. In other words, withiout having to use the Draw
Line tool each time? Excel 2003.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to add Upper/lower control limit lines to a graph (not drawn)

  1. To add upper and lower control limit lines to a graph in Excel 2003, you can follow these steps:
  2. Select the data range that you want to graph.
  3. Click on the Chart Wizard button on the toolbar or go to Insert Chart.
  4. Choose the chart type that you want to use and click Next.
  5. In the Data Range tab, make sure that the correct data range is selected and click Next.
  6. In the Chart Options tab, you can choose to add titles, labels, and other options to your chart. Click Next when you're done.
  7. In the Chart Location tab, choose whether you want to embed the chart in the current worksheet or create a new worksheet for the chart. Click Finish.
  8. Once the chart is created, right-click on the chart and choose Chart Options.
  9. In the Chart Options dialog box, click on the Lines tab.
  10. Under Lines, choose the type of line that you want to add (e.g. Upper Control Limit, Lower Control Limit).
  11. Enter the value for the line in the Value box.
  12. Choose the color and style for the line.
  13. Click OK to apply the changes.

Repeat steps 9-12 for each line that you want to add to the chart.

Once you have added the lines, you can save the chart as a template so that you can reuse it each month with the same lines already in place. To do this, right-click on the chart and choose Save as Template. Give the template a name and click Save. To use the template in the future, go to File New Templates and choose the template that you saved.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Fake it.

In other words, seutp some "dummy" series that are calculated, and plot them
on your chart. Format them to look however you like, and remove the original
chart gridlines. If you have a legend, single-click twice the legend entry
for your dummy series and press delete. If done correctly, the entry will not
appear in the legend, but will still be plotted.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Turbojet" wrote:

I have several quality charts that I do monthly. How can I get the the
upper, lower and center lines to appear at a specific data point (number) as
part of hte chart format. In other words, withiout having to use the Draw
Line tool each time? Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Here are some tutorials:

Add a Line to a Column or Line Chart

Run Chart with Mean and Standard Deviation Lines
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/RunChtLines.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier