Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how to use ADO to get sheets from closed file and the excel tab order(figured out with DAO)

This is what I built the other day with DAO but I still want to figure out ADO...

Public Function GetSheets(ByVal FileToOpen As String, ByVal FileExt As String)
Dim Shts() As String, ShtCnt As Integer: ShtCnt = 0
ReDim Shts(0 To ShtCnt)

Dim dbE As Object, db As Object, tbl As Object

On Error Resume Next
Set dbE = CreateObject("DAO.DBEngine")
Set dbE = CreateObject("DAO.DBEngine.35")
Set dbE = CreateObject("DAO.DBEngine.36")
On Error GoTo 0

Set db = dbE.OpenDatabase(FileToOpen, False, False, FileExt & ";HDR=Yes;")

For Each tbl In db.TableDefs
Shts(ShtCnt) = Mid(tbl.Name, 1, Len(tbl.Name) - 1)
ShtCnt = ShtCnt + 1
ReDim Preserve Shts(0 To ShtCnt)
Next

Set dbE = Nothing
Set db = Nothing
Set tbl = Nothing

GetSheets = Shts
End Function
Then to run I have a bunch of code for an open dialog, then it determines the format and the strings:

Select Case Right(FileToOpen, Len(FileToOpen) - InStrRev(FileToOpen, "."))
Case "xls", "XLS"
Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
FileExt = "Excel 8.0"
Case "xlsx", "XLSX"
Provider = "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;"
FileExt = "Excel 12.0"
Case "csv", "CSV"
Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;"
FileExt = "Excel 8.0"
Case Else
GoTo Err:
End Select
Then I have:

'Get Spreadsheets
Dim FileSpreadsheets() As String
FileSpreadsheets = GetSheets(FileToOpen, FileExt)
Then you can do whatever you need to do but as an example to get a msgbox:

mymsg = "Count: " & UBound(FileSpreadsheets) & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"Sheets:" & vbNewLine & vbNewLine

For Each Sheet In FileSpreadsheets
mymsg = mymsg + Sheet & vbNewLine
Next Sheet

MsgBox mymsg

I also built something with ADO but it does not give the sheet order, it's alphabetic and also sheets with spaces come first. The order is not in the excel tab order:

Set cat = CreateObject("ADOX.Catalog")
Set cat.ActiveConnection = objConnection
Debug.Print cat.Tables.Count

For Each tbl In cat.Tables
Debug.Print tbl.Name
Debug.Print tbl.datecreated
Debug.Print tbl.datemodified
Next tbl

I thought maybe i could determine by datecreated or datemodified, but the dates on all 4 are the same

This prints for me:
Avion$
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM
Meow$
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM
Sheet1$
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM
Sheet2$
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM
3/17/2017 12:43:19 PM

However the actual spreadsheet order is:

[Sheet1][Avion][Sheet2][Meow]

So it gives me alphabetic sorting of the spreadsheet tab name list...

I can't seem to find any property to tell me the order...

Help?