Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Count Cells with alphanumeric data

Hi,

I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data.

example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.

I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Count Cells with alphanumeric data

Hi there!

To count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data, you can use the COUNTIF function in Excel. Here's how:
  1. Select the range of cells that you want to count.
  2. In the formula bar, type "=COUNTIF(range,"*#*")" (without the quotes), where "range" is the range of cells you selected in step 1.
  3. Press Enter.

The COUNTIF function will count all cells in the range that contain at least one number. The asterisks before and after the "#" symbol are wildcards that allow the function to count cells with any number of characters before or after the number.

For example, if you have the following data in cells A1:A8:

asd
we
rty
22r
45aa
1s
wer
tyu

And you want to count all cells that have at least one number, you would select cells A1:A8 and enter the formula "=COUNTIF(A1:A8,"*#*")". The result would be 3, since there are three cells in the range that contain at least one number (22r, 45aa, and 1s).
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If all of the ones with number have a number as the 1st character, then a
formula like this should work, just change the A1:A8 range to whatever range
you need:
=COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<A")

"Aris" wrote:

Hi,

I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data.

example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.

I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Someone sharper than me may come up with a one-formula solution, but about
the best I can do is recommend using a helper column.

In the helper column (assume you have 1st entry, like asd, in A1) on row 1,
put this formula:
=COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1))
and 'commit' (end) the formula by pressing the [Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Enter] key to
make it an array formula. Fill it down as far as required. make the $9 =
the longest possible string in your list that it may find. This formula will
return the number of numeric characters found in each string. Now you can
use this formula to get a count of entries in A that numbers in them (this
assumes that your helper column with the array formula from above is in
column X)
=COUNTIF(X:X,"0")

Hope that helps.

"Aris" wrote:

Hi,

I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data.

example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.

I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

is there a way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?

I searched through my extensive formula library and I was surprised to learn
that I had nothing for this.

So, I whipped up this formula but it seems overly complex for the task at
hand.

Create these defined names:

Nums
Refers to:
={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

Array
Refers to:
={1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1}

Then:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)0))

Possible drawback: Depending on what version of Excel you're using the MMULT
function is limited in range size. Versions prior to Excel 2007 are limited
to no more than 5461 rows of data. No limit in Excel 2007.

I'm reluctant to use helper columns/cells unless there is no other way but
in this case I might even opt for the helpers.Well, maybe not!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

=

"Aris" wrote:

Hi,

I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have
alphanumeric data.

example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.

I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hmmm...

Well, that formula ASSUMES the data to be tested is *alphanumeric*. If there
might be numbers in the cells:

ASD
BX0
10
100
1DF

Then add a COUNT function to the end:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)0))+COUNT(A1:A10)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP