Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How smart is excel?

I do roster assignments for a youth flag football league. The league
has grown to over 1500 kids so doing team assignments manually has
gotten to be a bit of a bear but it is not quite big enough yet to
warrant purchasing expensive software to do team assignments. Is
there a way to automate in Excel some of the functions that I perform
manually? Here is the way I assign teams:
1. Each child is assigned player points ranging from 2-6 points.
2. Children who requested to play with others are assigned to same
team in first pass.
3. Children who requested to play for a particular coach are assigned
to team in second pass.
4. Team roster spots are filled with remaining players to ensure
player points are as evenly dispersed as possible. As I add a child
to a team, his / her name is removed from the available player pool.

EX: 96 kids assigned to 12 teams. Total player points are 384.
Players 1, 7, and 11 want to be on same team (Team A). Players 13,
17, 19 want to be on same team (Team B). Rest of children should be
assigned to teams so that every team has close to 32 player points as
possible.