Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Change default settings for Comments?

If I add a comment to a cell using Excel 365, the default displays my
name at the top, and it's also in a larger font than I'd like. How can
I permanently change those settings please?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I add a comment to a cell using Excel 365, the default displays my
name at the top, and it's also in a larger font than I'd like. How
can I permanently change those settings please?

Comments have been that way for as long as I can remember. I just hold
down the Backspace key and hit Ctrl+B to remove boldface.

The font is whatever you have set up to be your pref for 'Normal'.

J-Walk's books have a section devoted to the Comment object. You could
look there for a VBA solution that runs in place of the default
procedure when you click 'Insert Comment'!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

If I add a comment to a cell using Excel 365, the default displays my
name at the top, and it's also in a larger font than I'd like. How
can I permanently change those settings please?

Comments have been that way for as long as I can remember. I just hold
down the Backspace key and hit Ctrl+B to remove boldface.

The font is whatever you have set up to be your pref for 'Normal'.

J-Walk's books have a section devoted to the Comment object. You could
look there for a VBA solution that runs in place of the default
procedure when you click 'Insert Comment'!

Thanks Garry, I'll look into that. (I'm currently refreshing myself on
the basics with the opening chapters of John Walkenbach's 'Excel 2000
Programming for Dummies' ;-)

But meanwhile I've written a trivial MX macro, 'Add Comment' which
just opens a comment box in the selected cell and backspaces out the
redundant name.

It's activated by <Ctrl + Shift + M. Choosing a KB shortcut for VBA
macros is always an issue, both to avoid conflicts and ambiguity. I
have so many assigned to MX macros, some of which are global, i.e. not
'scoped' to a specific program or window. And Excel's repertoire is
rather limited (no Alt, Win or Function keys, for instance).

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

[...]

Ah.., can be an issue. I just reasign my Personal.xls macro to that
menuitem and use it in the normal fashion!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

GS wrote:

[...]

Can you expand a bit on that please, as I don't understand what you
mean. Or do you just mean you run it from the macro drop-down list in
Alt+F8, not with a hotkey?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GS wrote:

GS wrote:

[...]

on startup I reset the 'Insert Comment' menuitem to use my macro by
assigning its 'OnAction' to my macros name...

CommandBars("Cell").Controls("Insert Co&mment").OnAction =
"InsertMyComment"

...and on shutdown I restore it...

CommandBars("Cell").Reset