Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default XLSM and XLSX - what's the difference?

Could someone please clarify the purpose of the new file types in
Excel 2016/365, as I'm confused.

In various web articles/posts, such as this example
http://www.askingbox.com/question/ex...-xlsm-and-xlsb
I read that xlsx does not include macros or VBA code, but xlsm does.

So, as I want to include my old macros fro Excel 2000 and also use any
new macros I might install (with help here!) I have started using
xlsm.

HOWEVER, when I open a few remaining xlsx files that I saved earlier,
I find they *do* include macros. I can run them, and I can open the
VBA Editor.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Could someone please clarify the purpose of the new file types in
Excel 2016/365, as I'm confused.

In various web articles/posts, such as this example
http://www.askingbox.com/question/ex...-xlsm-and-xlsb
I read that xlsx does not include macros or VBA code, but xlsm does.

So, as I want to include my old macros fro Excel 2000 and also use any
new macros I might install (with help here!) I have started using
xlsm.

HOWEVER, when I open a few remaining xlsx files that I saved earlier,
I find they *do* include macros. I can run them, and I can open the
VBA Editor.

If it helps, here's an example of an xlsx that supports macros and
VBE, contrary to all that I read.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rosAndVBE.xlsx

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 06 Sep 2016 14:57:31 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Could someone please clarify the purpose of the new file types in
Excel 2016/365, as I'm confused.

In various web articles/posts, such as this example
http://www.askingbox.com/question/ex...-xlsm-and-xlsb
I read that xlsx does not include macros or VBA code, but xlsm does.

So, as I want to include my old macros fro Excel 2000 and also use any
new macros I might install (with help here!) I have started using
xlsm.

HOWEVER, when I open a few remaining xlsx files that I saved earlier,
I find they *do* include macros. I can run them, and I can open the
VBA Editor.

If it helps, here's an example of an xlsx that supports macros and
VBE, contrary to all that I read.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rosAndVBE.xlsx

The fine print says "supports Macros and VBE" but I don't use either.
Both XLSM and XLSX file work for me just as XLS files did 30 years
ago. I'm easily pleased!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

So do XLA and XLT as well as any custom extensions like myappa, myappt!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure I follow. Are you confirming that the 'official' advice (repeated in those examples I gave) is wrong? Are you able to see the macros in my example file?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Terry,

Am Tue, 06 Sep 2016 09:10:29 +0100 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Could someone please clarify the purpose of the new file types in
Excel 2016/365, as I'm confused.

In various web articles/posts, such as this example
http://www.askingbox.com/question/ex...-xlsm-and-xlsb
I read that xlsx does not include macros or VBA code, but xlsm does.

So, as I want to include my old macros fro Excel 2000 and also use any
new macros I might install (with help here!) I have started using
xlsm.

HOWEVER, when I open a few remaining xlsx files that I saved earlier,
I find they *do* include macros. I can run them, and I can open the
VBA Editor.

if you open xls files in compatibility mode they can contain macros and
you can run the macros.
If you want to convert your files to the new file system you have to
save them as xlsm or xlsb.
If you create code and then save the workbook as xlsx the code will be
deleted.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure I follow. Are you confirming that the 'official' advice
(repeated in those examples I gave) is wrong? Are you able to see the
macros in my example file?

What I'm confirming is that you can use any file extension you want
because Excel reads its binary and so knows it's an Excel file!

Note also that if you specify template or addin filetype when saving,
Excel tries to be helpful by switch file explorer to a 'suggested'
location. You can store wherever you want so, for examle, you could
store all addin/template files in the same location as the rest of
their respective project's files...

Project1 stores all files in its folder:

C:\MyApp\
myapp.xla
myapp.xlt
myapp.chm
myapp.ini
config.dat
license.dat
\UserData\
\Plugins\

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Claus Busch wrote:

[...]

Claus, Garry: Thanks both. Reckon I understand it now. It seems the
crucial point is that xlsm and xlsx can both RUN macros, but only xlsm
can save/store them. I've converted my few xlsx to xlsm and will use
that from now on.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK