Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default asynchronous Procedure Calls

Can anyone point me to a good resource on writing asynchronous procedure
calls? I am particually interested to know if it is possible to do an
asynchronous call on the application.run("") procedure.

- Rm
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Robert,

I think Excel (in any single instance) is single-threaded, so I'm not surre
it supports true asynchronous calls.

Tim.

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"Robert Mulroney" '''' wrote in message
Can anyone point me to a good resource on writing asynchronous procedure
calls? I am particually interested to know if it is possible to do an
asynchronous call on the application.run("") procedure.

- Rm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

in your case, you can put "DoEvents" inside the long calculation/loop
so vba can catch the cancel button events
still it is not asynchronous and it's not the best way, but it's simple

"Tim Williams" wrote:

Robert,

I think Excel (in any single instance) is single-threaded, so I'm not surre
it supports true asynchronous calls.

Tim.

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"Robert Mulroney" '''' wrote in message
Can anyone point me to a good resource on writing asynchronous procedure
calls? I am particually interested to know if it is possible to do an
asynchronous call on the application.run("") procedure.

- Rm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yeah, I would normally do that but the procedure that I'm calling is from a
3rd party product, I have no control over the function I'm trying to cancel.
At the moment my fuction looks something like this:

public sub doCalc()

frmCCPending.show
Activesheet.calculate

' I want to call this async
Application.run("onCalculateHandler")
frmCCPending.hide

End Sub

and we wait on the last line. I'd like to have a cancel button on
frmCCPending that ends the async call. The procedure "onCalculateHandler" is
defined in a locked 3rd party addin so I can't alter it and put a doEvents
call in it.

- Rm